Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing Dogs?

Options
  • 13-01-2017 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭

We have a three and a half year old miniature Schnauzer, a shy guy with people, but he absolutely loves other dogs, cats and all animals really.

My mother and brother are rescuing a 3 year old scruffy terrier cross...gorgeous little guy, described by the shelter as great with young kids and other dogs.

As my mother's house is our dog's second home (he sleeps there often, has a second bed/bowl etc there) I'm wondering about the best way to introduce them.

I'm thinking we should get them together for a walk in the park as soon as we can after they get the new dog, then all enter the house together. Should I let my guy stay there for a couple of nights so they both know they will have to cohabit fairly regularly?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

A walk is a good idea. I go by a 3 second greeting for my dogs meeting a new dog belonging to a friend, where they sniff/check each other out for 3 seconds, then move on to going for their walk. Keep the head-on encounter brief, don't have them forced to interact for any longer than 3 seconds, as anything after that *can* get awkward if one is more playful or more nervous than the other.

In the home, be sure to put any toys/food/beds away if possible, don't give them any resources to fight over, set them up for success. Don't leave them alone together until they have been around each other many times and there have been no issues. Some people can be too quick to put two dogs together who aren't familiar with each other.
    Look at it like interviewing a roommate, you'd like to see you would have no clashing differences and similar interests before living with them!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Great advice. I wouldn't have thought of putting all possible resources away! Think you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

As you know your dog's personality/temperament well when it comes to him meeting other dogs, try and pay the most attention to how the other dog reacts, if he seems unsure/wary/trying to avoid your dog/trying to ignore your dog (sniffing the ground, glancing then looking away), try and respect that, I would skip the whole 3 second greeting and have them walk together from a distance and then gradually close the gap when both dogs seem calm and focused on their walk.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Advertisement