Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am i wasting my money?

Options
  • 13-01-2017 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

My nine year old pc gave up the ghost before Christmas. I was just about to buy the machine described below but im having second thoughts as to whether or not these specs are overkill for me.
    (i5-7600k, 8 gig ram, 500gig SSD, PowerColor RX 460 Red Dragon)

I am not really into gaming these days so i went with a cheap graphics card.
    The principle use for the pc would be browsing and mulitmedia(hence the 4K asus
    screen. I do some photo editing with gimp and messing around with sketchup but nothing serious.
    Basically i want a really fast PC which will boot up and run at a fast rate,
    with multiple users logged in running multiple programs without slowdown.

It comes in at 1020(without monitor) from kmcomputer.de In your opinion could i bump the budget down to 600 and still have all the power i could use for my everyday use?

Thanks
    Bicky

1x (28") ASUS PB287Q 4K monitor
    1x CPU Intel Core i5-7600K 1151 6MB...
    1x Mainboard ASRock Z170 Pro4S Z170 1151
    1x Kühler CoolerMaster Hyper TX3i...
    1x DDR4 8GB PC 2400 CL15 G.Skill...
    1x PowerColor RX 460 Red Dragon V2...
    1x Netzteil Cooler Master B700 ver.2...
    1x Gehäuse Cooler Master Silencio 452...
    1x SSD Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB SATAIII
    1x Brenner DVW ASUS DRW-24D5MT SATA...
    1x Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64Bit DSP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Personally I think 4k is a waste for screens under 30+ inches and for that size of real estate, a 1440p IPS display is more than good enough and much easier for a GPU to drive.

Can nothing be salvaged from you old PC like case or DVD drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Unless you want to overclock the cpu, I wouldn't bother going for a "k" type cpu. Also if you are not overclocking you can just get a cpu that comes with a standard cooler, also reducing cost. Finally if you are not overclocking, you could probably get a cheaper non Z motherboard e.g. a H170 (or H270). Each of these are easy ways to cut the cost, however..

If you are going to be playing with multimedia stuff, you would probably be better off with 16GB of RAM, but it is easily upgradeable so maybe see how you get on first.

Secondly, depending on what type of multimedia you are playing with an i7 might be better. Each of these unfortunately put up the cost, but if you are just messing around with stuff then an i5 would probably be grand, and you could always just see about the RAM later.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Thanks for the reply.
    I have never seen a 4k monitor so i do have my doubts. A 4k screen appeals because i imagine having multiple browsers/programs open on screen. Could i get the same affect using a 1440p monitor?
    I could use the case from my old computer, however i would rather pay the premium for the desktop coming pre built from kmcomputers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

For your use I think the following is more than enough:

1x CPU Intel Core i5-6500 (use stock cooler, also use Intel integrated graphics if not gaming)
    1x Any H110M or H170M board
    1x 16GB DDR4
    1x Any half decent 250W+ PSU
    1x SSD Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB SATAIII
    1x Brenner DVW ASUS DRW-24D5MT SATA...
    1x Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64Bit DSP (can be used unactivated indefinitely so no need to buy initially)

farna_boy wrote: »
    Unless you want to overclock the cpu, I wouldn't bother going for a "k" type cpu. Also if you are not overclocking you can just get a cpu that comes with a standard cooler, also reducing cost. Finally if you are not overclocking, you could probably get a cheaper non Z motherboard e.g. a H170 (or H270). .

Thanks fort that. Great info. As someone who has not thought about PC specs in years it can be confusing. I dont want to overclock so will definitely change the order based on your advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Denny_Crane

4K is only (marginally) useful for gaming. You'll have loads of windows open but in tiny-weeny-eye-straint-o-vision™

I'm not into gaming so it's not an issue.
    I am concerned about the small size of text but I have read that scaling has really improved since windows 10.
    I really don't know so I am open to any opinion. Can anyone recommend a 4K monitor or is 28" just too small?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Get an Ultra wide monitor if your desk is big enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Denny_Crane

40" 4K is too small. I think you missed my point. The only application 4K has any use for is gaming and maybe video editing. For productivity work the scale is just too small. You can scale with windows 10 but to me it doesn't look right, furthermore all you're doing is getting more pixels and using 4 of them for one pixel when you could have gone with a 1440p screen and used 1:1.

Thanks for all the help.
    I guess i thought i was future proofing with 4K.
    I went with a LG 34UM68 ultrawide in the end. Looks like an awesome monitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Bicky wrote: »
    Thanks for all the help.
    I guess i thought i was future proofing with 4K.
    I went with a LG 34UM68 ultrawide in the end. Looks like an awesome monitor.

Thats a very good choice.

Advertisement