Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

University Requirements!

Options
  • 13-01-2017 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm currently in sixth year and applying for Computer Science in Trinity, problem is that Trinity require's higher maths for my leaving cert. The course minimum is 450 points. My question is, if I were to get an average grade in ordinary maths but higher points, say 480 as I'm doing the rest of my subjects at higher, will the University still accept me? or are the maths requirements written in stone?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You must meet the requirements...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

All requirements are set in stone. You either have the required matriculation grades and course specific grades or you don't.

Have you looked into computer science courses that do take OL maths students?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dangerzone123

Unfortunately you would have to get the required grade in higher level maths, regardless of obtaining higher points than the cut off point. A subject requirement cannot be overridden by points obtained.

There are computer science courses in a lot of places such as UCD, UCC, DCU, NCI and DIT that do not require higher maths if you have already dropped to ordinary level maths that you could look into. Some of these courses also require a certain grade in ordinary level maths also, so the bare minimum O6 will not be accepted in all cases.

Hope this helps somewhat ! :)

Advertisement