Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox in House

Options
  • 13-01-2017 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hello all,

Quick question.

We live in quite an urban area near city - Late last night we were letting our dog out into the garden. My partner had the door for a bit open so that the dog could come back in.

A fox comes right into the house – he/she scurried into the kitchen and across into the sitting room. It met me in the corridor and I screamed and startled it. He/she set about running back out the door when it met our dog coming back in from being outside. They both had a fright and little scuffle and my partner managed to separate the two before any fur was even lost.

He then shooed the fox out of the house again. Apart from the scuffle with our dog, the fox we think urinated on the floor or let out some scent with fear. It smelt really bad in house after. We have mopped and scrubbed the floor of course and smell isn’t there this morning.

Is there anything else we should do? Is there anything we should be worried about like disease wise, etc.? Also I would be a little concerned with how timid he was with walking right up into the house if there was a child there, etc. Should it be reported to someone?

Thanks in advance for all of your help & advise with this – we would really appreciate it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Shivi111

The urban foxes can be very bold, we have a few around and they are not frightened of us at all!

I'd just suggest you check your dog over carefully, our cat got into a tussle with one and got bitten, but the puncture wounds closed over straight away & we missed them until it got infected, antibiotics from vet sorted it out but we felt bad for missing it.

If he came in so easily chances are someone around is feeding them, might be worth alerting the neighbors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

the fox we think urinated on the floor or let out some scent with fear. It smelt really bad in house after. We have mopped and scrubbed the floor of course and smell isn’t there this morning.
    IF it is anything like the smell of when the dog rolls in fox poo in the forest - :eek:that is a nasty smell. But if your dog is not reacting to it and you can't smell it, I'd say youve gotten it all.
    Also I would be a little concerned with how timid he was with walking right up into the house if there was a child there, etc.
    Do you have a child? If not then I wouldn't worry about this at all.

Should it be reported to someone?
    If there is a local wildlife spca type organisation it might be worth it, but unless the fox is injured, there really imo isn't much to do.

I have to say I think it is pretty cool to have a fox on your door step and in reality foxes aren't a danger to humans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭mistybluehills

FoxHouse wrote: »
    Hello all,

Quick question.

We live in quite an urban area near city - Late last night we were letting our dog out into the garden. My partner had the door for a bit open so that the dog could come back in.

A fox comes right into the house – he/she scurried into the kitchen and across into the sitting room. It met me in the corridor and I screamed and startled it. He/she set about running back out the door when it met our dog coming back in from being outside. They both had a fright and little scuffle and my partner managed to separate the two before any fur was even lost.

He then shooed the fox out of the house again. Apart from the scuffle with our dog, the fox we think urinated on the floor or let out some scent with fear. It smelt really bad in house after. We have mopped and scrubbed the floor of course and smell isn’t there this morning.

Is there anything else we should do? Is there anything we should be worried about like disease wise, etc.? Also I would be a little concerned with how timid he was with walking right up into the house if there was a child there, etc. Should it be reported to someone?

Thanks in advance for all of your help & advise with this – we would really appreciate it!

They really stink!!

Advertisement