Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climote or.....jesus

Options
  • 13-01-2017 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭

My head is fried with all the options and what will suit me.
    I have a horstmann channel plus h37xl controlling 2 heat zones and 1 water zone on a gas boiler.
    I recently got the Hive from Amazon but cant setup the system without throwing in a uk postcode so I'm just going to send it back to quit the messing, I'm also not sure how to install the Hive into my system.
    So, I'm back to figuring out what the hell will suit my system and what will work out the cheapest.
    I'm nearing my completion of a 12 month contract with BGE so can start to look at offers out there.

Right now, the Climote seems to be what would fit my system and fit my need but there is not much user info about the Climote here.

Does anyone have any experience with the Climote?

Thanks and apologies if this has been asked a million times

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Climote seems like a terrible system IMO It works over mobile phone network and requires a €45 per year subscription to use it! And no integration with other HA tech.

Hive should work for your setup, lots of people have it working here in Ireland.

Alternatively Nest Thermostat will do the job, though you will need two Nest Thermostats. Maybe take a look at Electric Irelands Nest deal and get them to install both for you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

bk wrote: »
    Climote seems like a terrible system IMO It works over mobile phone network and requires a €45 per year subscription to use it! And no integration with other HA tech.

Hive should work for your setup, lots of people have it working here in Ireland.

Alternatively Nest Thermostat will do the job, though you will need two Nest Thermostats. Maybe take a look at Electric Irelands Nest deal and get them to install both for you.

+1

Climote was pretty much obsolete when it launched.

No problem getting Hive setup using a UK postcode and a quick call to the UK Hive support line over Skype to un-confuse things after I entered an Irish mobile number.

No problem setting Nest up either but I found it's 'learning' feature pretty bad, others haven't so YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

+ 1 for Jesus... He's omnipresent so no need to split the system.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Bluefoam wrote: »
    + 1 for Jesus... He's omnipresent so no need to split the system.

but is there an Alexa skill for the spiritual link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I've got tado for 2 zones, have not installed water control yet.....very happy with it. Not sure it is saving me much money but temp is much more consistent, much less messing with manual adjustments, rarely too hot or cold, manual boosts/adjustments easily done through thermo on Wall, phone app or amazon Alexa / dot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

Thanks for the reply's, ill try register the Hive again and see how it goes then, I just don't want to mess with the boiler now when its most needed...

I've looked everywhere for info regarding wiring the Hive and the Multi zone setup, can't find anything helpful at all. Have asked plumbers and sparkys and no one wants to attempt to do the install.
    It's going back to Amazon, don't need this hassle and worry about damaging the boiler I'm afraid.
    Thanks for all the input regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭ted1

bidiots wrote: »
    I've looked everywhere for info regarding wiring the Hive and the Multi zone setup, can't find anything helpful at all. Have asked plumbers and sparkys and no one wants to attempt to do the install.
    It's going back to Amazon, don't need this hassle and worry about damaging the boiler I'm afraid.
    Thanks for all the input regardless

have you presently got a multi zone system ? If so it's not to hard just replace what's there with the new. It's all just relays.

I have a system in place controlling 3 zones, but the wiring can not be slipper across to the multi zone setup without some know-how, I have a neutral and live connection for the main controller but need another neutral and live for the extra multi controller, which I don't have and not sure where to splice from

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Graham wrote: »
    but is there an Alexa skill for the spiritual link?

Praying?

• Advertisement

bidiots wrote: »
    I have a system in place controlling 3 zones, but the wiring can not be slipper across to the multi zone setup without some know-how, I have a neutral and live connection for the main controller but need another neutral and live for the extra multi controller, which I don't have and not sure where to splice from

How are the zones currently controlled?

I have a horstmann channel plus h37xl controlling 2 heat zones and 1 water zone on a gas boiler...

Sent it back to Amazon this morning, ill wait a while and consider different options when I get the time

That should be straight forward. 2 heat links besides to replace the current heating zone link loop the L and N. 1 zone each and then one of them will also do the hot water.

Advertisement