Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring an MX-5 at 24

Options
  • 13-01-2017 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

I've been driving for about 1.5 years with a full license held for the same time. I have no claims and currently drive a 2006 Mazda 6 1.8 petrol, paying 1,200 for fully comp insurance with Liberty.

I've been thinking of changing my car for a Mazda MX5. Either an older first gen (1.6 engine) or a second gen up to about 2003 (1.8 engine). Something affordable and in good condition. That being said, I want to make sure that insurance is reasonable before changing over.

I called my current insurer and they said they won't insure MX5s for drivers under 30. Not having much luck with quotes online either.

Surely it can't be that difficult to insure an MX5 at 24? It's hardly a performance car and considering that I have NCB and a similar displacement car now, I thought quotes should be easy to find and relatively cheap, judging by what's been said in older threads I've dug up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,535 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you can get a non Jap import it will be much easier to insure.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭oknepop

None of the ones I'm looking at would be japanese imports. Good few original irish MX5s on the market - a "Eunos" badge on the back is an indicator of the car being a jap import as far as I'm aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

oknepop wrote: »
    I've been driving for about 1.5 years with a full license held for the same time. I have no claims and currently drive a 2006 Mazda 6 1.8 petrol, paying 1,200 for fully comp insurance with Liberty.

I've been thinking of changing my car for a Mazda MX5. Either an older first gen (1.6 engine) or a second gen up to about 2003 (1.8 engine). Something affordable and in good condition. That being said, I want to make sure that insurance is reasonable before changing over.

I called my current insurer and they said they won't insure MX5s for drivers under 30. Not having much luck with quotes online either.

Surely it can't be that difficult to insure an MX5 at 24? It's hardly a performance car and considering that I have NCB and a similar displacement car now, I thought quotes should be easy to find and relatively cheap, judging by what's been said in older threads I've dug up.

My brother is 21 with liberty...driving 3yrs,2 on his own policy(totally clean record) is getting a S2000 quote:2€2,200.....dont ask me how I was shocked myself

Previous cars: 01 fiesta 1.25,00 fiesta zetec s 1.6,05 bmw320d

• Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You're 6 is way heavier than the best sports car in the world, note sports car vs family car. Sure an RX7 only has a 1.3 engine get one of them and your insurance should drop as its less than your current 1.8.

You'll have to ring around all the insurance companies and brokers as the online systems will never give quotes with the criteria you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Go to a broker, and if possible get a Mk2 with good service history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....never understand this, and I said this to the last insurer about this: Mazda's factory is in Japan. ALL MX-5's are imports.

As are, all..........Merc/Audi/Hyundai etc.......you know where this is going, don't you..... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...sorry, back on-topic - I think you'll have a major struggle getting it covered at 24, unless you've another car as a DD and then you might get some sort of mirroring of your NCB.

Of course, if you buy the best, earliest one you can, you can insure it as a classic. You'll still need a DD though.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

galwaytt wrote: »
    ....never understand this, and I said this to the last insurer about this: Mazda's factory is in Japan. ALL MX-5's are imports.

As are, all..........Merc/Audi/Hyundai etc.......you know where this is going, don't you..... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jap cars are built to a different spec. Crappy headlights, more power, more toys etc. Parts can be harder to find and more expensive when you do find them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

gitzy16v wrote: »
    My brother is 21 with liberty...driving 3yrs,2 on his own policy(totally clean record) is getting a S2000 quote:2€2,200.....dont ask me how I was shocked myself
    How the actual holy hell is he managing that? :eek:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,535 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

galwaytt wrote: »

Easier to steal, majority of the Jap imports don't have an immobolizer and the thiefs know this so it instantly becomes a target.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 rhino1

Be very careful .Mix Japanese import with over fifteen years old in a car in Ireland today and the car could become effectively uninsurable .Insurance companies seem to be able to double or treble renewals at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Wibbs wrote: »
    How the actual holy hell is he managing that? :eek:

The only idea I've got is he transfers mid policy...pays extra for the last few months of the policy,then the full years quote has always been reasonably good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

No suggestions on the insurance front, so I'll leave that to others. I'll just say good luck with it; the MX-5s are a lovely car to drive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Easier to steal, majority of the Jap imports don't have an immobolizer and the thiefs know this so it instantly becomes a target.
    Yep, most need added security like a fish needs water. That said you can make them very secure, or at least as, if actually not more secure than many brand new cars with comfort start and the OBD port "hack". If the owners are willing to do research and pay for good quality parts and installation. So many aren't.

Down the years I've been frankly shocked by how little "security" people will entrust their car to, especially very desirable powerful Japanese imports(or older cars in general). Frankly and from a security standpoint a 50 quid alarm fitted in a lunch hour and one of those bar things across the steering wheel may as well not be there.

On the other hand it's been very rare in my experience where an insurer has asked much beyond "does it have an alarm". IMHO they should have a very basic standard of third party security, such as the Thatcham rating in the UK. A rating which will reduce premiums over there and by quite a bit. Here, companies will give some discount for a tracker(or more likely won't insure without one. God forbid a discount :rolleyes:). They're great and another layer and both drivers and insurance companies can have the horn for them, but they're the near definition of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. You might get it back, but the car has already been stolen.

A Thatcham grade 1 alarm and immobiliser, with anti hijack and a tracker on top will be as secure as you can make any car and definitely more secure than any brand new car with comfort start and the OBD port in the cabin. Google a bit on the continuing rise of car thefts without the owners keys. The current crop of sporty Fords are particularly hard hit. Quite the flood of reports in the UK and the US. :(

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I got insurance on a mk1 MX-5 as my daily driver in the late nineties at the age of 24. It was a Japanese import too. I had passed my test but didn't have full NCB.

Aye F, but in the late nineties to the mid noughties Jap imports were driving a nice little economy in the car dealer network and decent cash was being made by the sector(and with little to no oversight on the state and actual milage of the cars themselves*). That changed and here we are today. As I mentioned in another thread, when I was buying my car in the early noughties the officially imported local Irish version was more expensive to insure. Yep. Funny that.

*always found it "interesting" that the vast majority of dealers "lost" the Japanese auction reports on the cars. Buying and importing a car without seeing or having same would have been difficult. Amazing they were lost One chancer even told me that "it's in Japanese, you couldn't read it". I saw cars that were accident write offs in Japanese auctions, show up in Irish sales and mainstream importer auctions magically repaired and top grade during the boat trip to here. Oh and milage was complete guesswork and in nigh on every case clocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yep, most need added security like a fish needs water. That said you can make them very secure, or at least as, if actually not more secure than many brand new cars with comfort start and the OBD port "hack". If the owners are willing to do research and pay for good quality parts and installation. So many aren't.

Down the years I've been frankly shocked by how little "security" people will entrust their car to, especially very desirable powerful Japanese imports(or older cars in general). Frankly and from a security standpoint a 50 quid alarm fitted in a lunch hour and one of those bar things across the steering wheel may as well not be there.

On the other hand it's been very rare in my experience where an insurer has asked much beyond "does it have an alarm". IMHO they should have a very basic standard of third party security, such as the Thatcham rating in the UK. A rating which will reduce premiums over there and by quite a bit. Here, companies will give some discount for a tracker(or more likely won't insure without one. God forbid a discount :rolleyes:). They're great and another layer and both drivers and insurance companies can have the horn for them, but they're the near definition of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. You might get it back, but the car has already been stolen.

A Thatcham grade 1 alarm and immobiliser, with anti hijack and a tracker on top will be as secure as you can make any car and definitely more secure than any brand new car with comfort start and the OBD port in the cabin. Google a bit on the continuing rise of car thefts without the owners keys. The current crop of sporty Fords are particularly hard hit. Quite the flood of reports in the UK and the US. :(

I'd a JDM for years, it was a standard Primera, which had a reasonable quality alarm/immobiliser. I moved to an area close to where the Garda chopper does be nearly constantly overhead. 2 weeks after moving a scumbag was caught trying to get my car, they didn't as the immobiliser did it's job. Only problem was that no matter how much extra security I put on it they'd still try to steal it, as it's a JDM with no security!, and I'd have to constantly be repairing damage. Gave it to my Dad and he drove it for years after with no issues.

The replacement car I got had hud caps cable tied on, woke one morning to the cable ties on the ground!! Didn't try to steal the POS Irish spec Corolla, but took the in bits hud caps

So depending on where you live extra security counts for nothing as the vehicle will still get damaged.

Aye F, but in the late nineties to the mid noughties Jap imports were driving a nice little economy in the car dealer network and decent cash was being made by the sector(and with little to no oversight on the state and actual milage of the cars themselves*). That changed and here we are today. As I mentioned in another thread, when I was buying my car in the early noughties the officially imported local Irish version was more expensive to insure. Yep. Funny that.

*always found it "interesting" that the vast majority of dealers "lost" the Japanese auction reports on the cars. Buying and importing a car without seeing or having same would have been difficult. Amazing they were lost One chancer even told me that "it's in Japanese, you couldn't read it". I saw cars that were accident write offs in Japanese auctions, show up in Irish sales and mainstream importer auctions magically repaired and top grade during the boat trip to here. Oh and milage was complete guesswork and in nigh on every case clocked.

Some of these scare stories are exaggerated, some have truth in them. All very anecdotal though. Japanese cars were being imported second hand a lot further back than the late nineties, for one thing.

I drove mine for five years as a daily driver in which time it passed NCT's in ROI, and passed a more rigorous test in the Channel Islands when I lived there for a year, so it attained 'Type Approval' which was how the UK certified 'grey imports', as they called them, back then. Now that I think of it, it would, during its life, have been registered in Japan, ROI, Jersey, and the UK mainland (as when I sold it, the dealer who bought it found a buyer in England!). So it lived an interesting life, though I'd imagine has long since departed to the great scrap-yard in the sky.

In any case, Japanese imports or not, most MK1's that are still around are pretty long in the tooth in the best case scenario, this is partially why I say to the OP to go for a MK2.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Only problem was that no matter how much extra security I put on it they'd still try to steal it, as it's a JDM with no security!,
    Oh sure. It's a given that 90% of scum are mouth breathing morons and like magpies attracted to shiny things… That same 90% have little or no expertise as far as stealing cars and even low end security will often defeat their microscopic minds. As you say though they'll take out their frustration by causing damage like the simian brutes they are.
    Some of these scare stories are exaggerated, some have truth in them. All very anecdotal though.
    I had direct experience of a fair number of such scare stories. At the time I had access to two Japanese brokers and links to ongoing auctions and being the anal chap I can be was taking notes of particular cars of a particular model going through and on more than one occasion I saw first hand accident damaged cars ending up on Irish dealer forecourts. In one case I actually reported the dealer over a car. It left Japan with an R grade and a twisted front end, but was on sale here as a high grade car. The front strut brace was missing from the usual spot, but was left in the boot. When offered up it wouldn't fit. The repair was that crap. Nada was done about it of course. How it was expected to pass an NCT is beyond me. Dodgy spray jobs were common enough too… Clocking the milage was almost a given with many dealers and Japanese auction reports were almost entirely absent. Unless you found someone bringing them in as a sideline, personally importing one was about the only way to see and get one. There were some very dodgy customers in the trade at the time, as there was good money to be made(and laundered). There was even a crop of cars that had been stolen in Japan ending up here and the Gardai and customs and excise were involved(and it ended up in the newspapers). It was a bit "wild west" at times.
    Japanese cars were being imported second hand a lot further back than the late nineties, for one thing.
    Certainly, I didn't say they weren't :confused: However the plain fact is, in Ireland the peak of their importation and popularity was squarely in that time period.
    it passed NCT's in ROI, and passed a more rigorous test in the Channel Islands when I lived there for a year, so it attained 'Type Approval' which was how the UK certified 'grey imports', as they called them, back then.
    "Type approval" for such cars wasn't that much more rigourous. For a start unless someone imported a car not seen by the DVLA before the model had type approval already. Basically an MOT with added requirements for cars that didn't have UK complaint equipment. IE items like a rear fog light and conversion to MPH. though more involved than here in Ireland, it wasn't particularly difficult to get for most models(far harder in France and Germany for example).
    In any case, Japanese imports or not, most MK1's that are still around are pretty long in the tooth in the best case scenario, this is partially why I say to the OP to go for a MK2.
    +1.

Lots of useful responses here! I understand the issue with japanese car security and insuring them, but I don't think it'll be too much of a problem as all second gen MX5s (which I'm leaning towards) for sale in Ireland are UK/Irish spec, with many later ones having factory installed immobilisers and alarms. I'm aware that there are aftermarket solutions available, so I think I'd definitely make sure to have something installed should I actually get an MX5. I'm also looking at cars in the UK as they seem to be much cheaper and better specced than Irish equivalents (even after accounting for NCT and VRT, flights, boat, etc)., though I understand that rust can be an issue, especially with the double-skin design of the second gen.

I think if someone wants to steal a car, they will - and as noted in other posts, if they can't steal it they'll probably vandalise it anyway, so little can be done about that. I think as long as the alarm/immob. are there to tick the box when getting the insurance, then it's all good. A hardtop for the winter would probably help with the security aspect too.

Going for a vintage policy is an option as I can get insured on my girlfriends car as a primary vehicle, though again, vintage insurance at 24 may be a stretch as most have a minimum driver age of 25.

I'm going to make a few calls on Monday to see if I can get anywhere. I've been quoted on a vintage policy on a jap import with AXA before, so there's hope. I know that there are a good few "obscure" insurers/brokers in the market now, so if anyone knows of ones that may be more flexible with regard to my criteria, please do list them here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Going for a vintage policy is an option as I can get insured on my girlfriends car as a primary vehicle, though again, vintage insurance at 24 may be a stretch as most have a minimum driver age of 25.

You need to be insured under your own name in a primary car. Being a named driver is not enough. I had 2 cars in my own name with the missus named on both standard and classic policy which was fine.

@stimpson - yes, that's something I considered as I got classic car quotes for something else before, which would probably be more hassle than it's worth in terms of switching insurance to my girlfriend's car and having her as a named driver, etc.

So I called around this afternoon and this is where I got.

Current insurer (Liberty) - would not insure anyone under 30 on an MX5 as it's a "high performance vehicle". Seeing as I'm a current customer, they would only quote me if I already owned the car, but noted that it would be risky to buy it and then look for a quote off them as the quote might be very high or they could still refuse (didn't think they could do that with current customers? - I guess I cold tell them that I already bought it anyway, but I'm not sure if that's risky or not as I have a policy with them now).

Axa - would not insure anyone below the age of 30 for the same reason as above

First Ireland - couldn't get a quote from any of their underwriters, though they noted that they would be able to quote me once I have 2 years NCB

Still need to make a good few more calls obviously, but it's a little frustrating that even my current policy provider wouldn't quote me.

I think it's funny that you have to be 30 to get quoted on an MX5. I mean obviously it makes sense from a risk perspective for the insurers, but from my point of view, it's by 30 that I'll want the mazda 6 I have now or a similarly sized car to haul around a potential family, not the other way around.

I guess it's the norm nowadays to be ranting about insurers, but it won't be long till everyone is forced to drive 1 litre econoboxes under five years old because everything else is considered a high performance deathtrap! I think at the very least if it's mandatory for drivers to have insurance, it should be mandatory for insurers to at least provide a quote - though that's an argument for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MrsDiz

I have a Mk1 Eunos (MX5 Jap import) 1990 and although I got insurance for it last year, I can't get anyone to insure it in my name this year. It's my only car although I am a named driver on another vehicle, I'm 44 and been driving for 27 years, clean licence and no claims ever, but I can't get insurance from anyone for this vehicle this year.

Be warned, do a lot more ringing round before buying. It's not just to do with your age as they have told you that's just the starting point - age of vehicle, soft top, miles, security, not enough NCB, years insured in your own name and the list goes on. They must have a long list of excuses.

If I can't insure it under my husband, who has a main vehicle, then it will be sold with great sadness. It's a wonderful car to drive and puts a smile on my face every time I get in it - not smiling at the moment though.

MrsDiz wrote: »
    I have a Mk1 Eunos (MX5 Jap import) 1990 and although I got insurance for it last year, I can't get anyone to insure it in my name this year. It's my only car although I am a named driver on another vehicle, I'm 44 and been driving for 27 years, clean licence and no claims ever, but I can't get insurance from anyone for this vehicle this year.

Be warned, do a lot more ringing round before buying. It's not just to do with your age as they have told you that's just the starting point - age of vehicle, soft top, miles, security, not enough NCB, years insured in your own name and the list goes on. They must have a long list of excuses.

If I can't insure it under my husband, who has a main vehicle, then it will be sold with great sadness. It's a wonderful car to drive and puts a smile on my face every time I get in it - not smiling at the moment though.

That's very unfortunate and is a pretty infuriating indicator of the way car insurance is going (or has already gone!) in Ireland.

The mx5 I was looking to get insurance on was a 2001. I was successful in getting 3 quotes....two for 9,000 Euro and another for a bargain basement price of 5,500. I know insurers charge a premium to mitigate risk rather than cover your car, but if I'm going to crash, my Mazda 6 that probably weighs twice as much as an mx5 could do much more damage, and yet I can get insured on that.

I've decided to pause my search for an mx5 until my renewal (with an extra year of ncb) comes up in a few months, and will try again then.

Is your mx5 on a regular or vintage policy? You might have luck insuring it on a vintage policy with your husband as the main driver on it and yourself as a named driver. I know axa will insure Japanese improts on a vintage policy. Campion and autoline in Newry might be good options too, though I have a feeling Autoline don't like to insure Japanese imports.

Would be useful to know how you get on.

Insurance is completely bonkers here, the fact they won't even give a quote, ridiculous like yours or anything.

It's currently on regular insurance through Campion, who are now being totally unhelpful. They were quite surprised when I informed them they needed to provide me with letters of decline so I could pursue a decline case, as my broker they should have informed me of that. Not impressed with them at all!

I'm waiting for Axa to call back with it insured under my husband and he will be calling Autoline tomorrow, so fingers crossed. My last chance then it's on Done deal and other sites. It is breaking my heart.

The mx5 I was looking to get insurance on was a 2001. I was successful in getting 3 quotes....two for 9,000 Euro and another for a bargain basement price of 5,500.
    Wait… what? :eek::eek: That's just taking the mickey. :mad:

Naturally, seeing the tremendous opportunity in front of me I jumped at the 5.5k quote. Sure that's cheap in today's climate!

..only joking.

What's annoying is that I had no problem getting comparably reasonable quotes on a Mazda 6 MPS, which has a 2.3 litre turbo engine, all wheel drive and close to 300bhp, which I would see as a much higher risk car. That being said, I can't imagine there have been many quotes made with regard to that model which would probably explain what's happening in this case.

oknepop - at least you got some quotes, even though they are ridiculous. How much was the car costing you were interested in? Madness!

I have good news, my car is staying! Managed to get two quotes in my husbands name. One from Axa with breakdown included and between 5-10000 miles per year - €975. The other from Autoline with only 3000 miles per year - €270. I would have loved to go for the lower offer, but then I would have been paying for the car to sit on the driveway and hardly ever be driven. This car is for driving. So sadly the more expensive one it is, but at least it is now insured! Keep it for a further 12 months and then see what happens next year.

The help on this forum has been very helpful, thanks to all those that contribute.

Advertisement