Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia Shield TV as a SmartThings Hub

Options
  • 12-01-2017 6:59pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭

One very cool piece of news that I seemed to miss from CES, is that in the next few months, the Nvidia Shield TV will gain the ability to become a SmartThings Hub, by just adding a $30 USB adaptor to it (containing a zigbee and zwave radio)!

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/new-nvidia-shield-and-spot-price-specs-release-date

I have to say the Nvidia Shield TV seems to have great potential to turn into a very exciting device over the net few months, being an Android TV with 4K HDR support, upcoming Google Home built in and now a Smart Things hub * along with the Nvidia Spot devices it could be a very powerful Home Automation system.

* Also it can run as a 4K Plex server, note server, not just Plex client like most streaming boxes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

bk wrote: »
    One very cool piece of news that I seemed to miss from CES, is that in the next few months, the Nvidia Shield TV will gain the ability to become a SmartThings Hub, by just adding a $30 USB adaptor to it (containing a zigbee and zwave radio)!

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/new-nvidia-shield-and-spot-price-specs-release-date

I have to say the Nvidia Shield TV seems to have great potential to turn into a very exciting device over the net few months, being an Android TV with 4K HDR support, upcoming Google Home built in and now a Smart Things hub * along with the Nvidia Spot devices it could be a very powerful Home Automation system.

* Also it can run as a 4K Plex server, note server, not just Plex client like most streaming boxes.
    I have one on the way with a harmony hub... Can't wait

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I have one on the way with a harmony hub... Can't wait

I've one, the old one, it is really great, very powerful and nice streamer, the nicest I have.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I am the same as an existing owner it is the best streamer in the market and very powerful.
    I never use the gaming side but Plex and Kodi are perfect on it, 4k HDR, Dolby Atmos/DTS-X plays everything I through at it.
    The only thing missing is Amazon Prime but that comes next week.
    Also great that existing users are getting the software update.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Yes I picked one up on the Amazon warehouse deal just before Christmas and I am delighted with it.

Great to here we will be getting all the new updates.

Thanks for the heads up bk. Loving this new forum by the way :)
    Just moved into a new house so perfect timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Any reason the Steam link can't do the same thing, it's on sale for €20 and works with a wired Xbox or Xbox one controller or wirelessly with an Xbox one s controller.
    I use the Steam link for Kodi and it's lightning quick.

My Xbox is pretty redundant since the Steam link came out. If an app can run on Windows chances are you'll be able to load it into Steam someway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Any reason the Steam link can't do the same thing, it's on sale for €20 and works with a wired Xbox or Xbox one controller or wirelessly with an Xbox one s controller.
    I use the Steam link for Kodi and it's lightning quick.

My Xbox is pretty redundant since the Steam link came out. If an app can run on Windows chances are you'll be able to load it into Steam someway.

I'm not sure what the Steam link has to do with the Nvidia TV or Smart Things Hub!

As far as I know neither Steam Link or PC's can act as a Smart Things Hub!

If you mean just the streaming abilities of the Nvidia TV, sure a Steam link can work, but there are multiple reasons why people might prefer a Nvidia TV.

1) Most people don't have a desktop PC anymore. In particular they don't have high end gaming PC's that cost hundreds if not thousands and use ridiculous amounts of electricity.

2) A Nvidia TV uses WAY less electricity to run than a desktop PC left on all the time.

3) In my experience using a PC sucks. You have to use the keyboard and mouse or gamepad, IME it just doesn't make for a nice usable experience. Nvidia TV on the other hand is specifically designed for use as a home entertainment device. I have a Mac Mini hooked up to my TV. To be honest using it was a pain in the ass. I rarely use it now that I've switch to the Nvidia TV. I've also have a friend who has a very powerful Alienware PC hooked up to his TV. To be honest, it is a very poor experience, no one wants to deal with the bugginess of windows on their TV.

If you like your setup, that is cool, but I don't think it works for the majority of ordinary people.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I haven't tried the shield Tv, but from my understanding if you want to play your steam games/apps (nearly all my games are in steam) on the shield it launches in steam big picture mode (that's they way the steam link works on my TV). If I want to use Kodi I launch that through steam big picture mode.
    So therefore if I want to launch Kodi on an nvidia shield I can just launch steam big picture mode and launch Kodi from there.
    You could probably use something like http://www.smarttiles.click and set that as an app on steam and launch it in big picture mode on the steam link and control it with an xbox controller. I don't use a keyboard and mouse with the steam link there upstairs with the pc, I just use the xbox controller on my TV for Kodi and Steam Big picture mode.

Probably need to get my head around the shield tv properly but can't see any major advantage over my current set up unless I wanted to subscribe to Nvidia's game streaming service.

You seem to be stuck in the idea of gaming, I've never once used my Nvidia Shield TV for playing games. I use it simply as a great entertainment streaming box similar to Apple TV, Fire TV, Now TV, Roku, etc.

I'm sure it can play games very well too, but I've never tried.

The thing is Kodi and Plex run great on it, with no need to have a separate windows PC turned on in another room and having to fiddle around with Steam, etc.

Ease of use like this is particularly important in a family environment, what if your OH or kid wants to watch something on Kodi? Well now you can't game on your PC in another room with your setup.

Sure, maybe you are single and living on your own, so that isn't an issue and thus maybe the StreamLink is a great solution for you and thus you don't need a NTV. But for many if not most people separating their devices and simplifying things can make life much easier.

Advertisement