Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 DE-resolutions - an AMA - and my breakdown

Options
  • 12-01-2017 3:37pm

So with the 2017-resolutions threads dying off - I thought to go the other way. "De-resolutions". Things you do or felt it was good to do - but could not be bothered doing any more or intend to stop.

People keep jokingly asking me to do an AMA despite my not being all that interesting - so I'll merge it with a thinking out loud thread - as I have been obsessing lately over some life alterations. And the After Hours Group-Mind always has some useful insights - as well as some pointless but humourous ones. So treat this essentially as an AMA coupled with a cry for help :)

The main source of my concern is a rather spectacular break down I had in July - though as most of the day is a blur to me I heard most of it back second hand after the fact.

Put short I was insane all day up until I walking into home - declaring robustly "someone else make dinner today - I will be unavailable for the forseeable" - and then promptly collapsed. Ambulance called. Doctor informs me I have simply been over doing it in life in general and I need to slow down.

I missed the 1st January deadline for implementing some (de)resolutions - but I have to admit my schedule is too intense and I need to do it. On top of work and family in a week I:

Gastronomically - do a lot of elaborate cooking and tend my own herbs, veg and animals.

Physically - Capoeira and BJJ classes - and a morning run and evening cycle - as much for the Canine as for myself. The occasional trip swimming.

Socially - Not out often - but friends over often including a large'n'loud monthly house party I throw.

Meditation - daily and host a weekly guided meditation group for locals (mostly Maynooth college students - but I have acquired some interesting regulars along the way including people recovering from alcohol and anger issues - people with depression - a priest - a trainee priest - and a cop - and they all really benefit from the meetup.).

Don't drink, smoke, have a television, or any other vices of note. Except maybe not sleeping as many hours a night as recommended and having a strong inclination for starting elaborate DIY projects.

I _love_ all the things I do so culling one is tearing me up. So - yeah - argh - just arrrgghhhh. Dunno what to either cut out entirely - or replace with more easy going equivalents.

So what's your De-Resolution - what should I do - and what's your AMA :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Mate, get a blog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I dunno which you should drop, the one you benefit least from perhaps?
    Personally for me 2017 is the year I put myself first, stop running around after others, keeping their ship afloat while they have an enflated air of superiority. This year is for me. Putting all my energy into making things happen for me, and cutting off all the deadweight in my life

Omackeral wrote: »
    Mate, get a blog.

Too one way :)
    I dunno which you should drop, the one you benefit least from perhaps?

Hard to pick that way I have found. The one I get the least _direct_ benefit from I guess would be BJJ. I do not tend to get in all that many fights anymore. But there are a lot of indirect benefits to it I would miss.

Capoeira I suppose because BJJ and running keep me fit. But it does make me extremely flexible with a core strength BJJ and running do not give. In and of itself it is pretty useless though - as a martial art you would only hurt yourself in a fight using it - and as a dance form you would hurt everyone else on a dance floor.
    This year is for me. Putting all my energy into making things happen for me, and cutting off all the deadweight in my life

Actually a few people I have asked about de-resolutions have said essentially the same thing as you as their answer. I hope it really works out for you. I try to look out for number 1 _and_ others but that balance is often insanely hard to strike correctly. I fail at it by going way too far in one direction or the other more often than I would like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

...Physically - Capoeira and BJJ classes - and a morning run and evening cycle - as much for the Canine as for myself...
    Dogs are pretty crap at cycling. I'd drop that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

All sounds like Resolutions to me. A resolution by definition does not exclude negatives nor intentions to cease something.

• Advertisement

I'm often torn between cringing and laughing when I read some of the OP's posts.

Not sure which way I'll go with this one either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

What's an AMA?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

What's an AMA?
    Ask Me Anything.

Although it was actually meant to be EME,

Exercise My Ego.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

You go to BJ classes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Is there much similarity between Zumba and Capoeira?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

What's an AMA?
    I was Googling that. :o
    It is either the American Medical Association, the AMA music agency, or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

OMGWTFLOLanAMAinAH?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Don't drink, smoke, have a television, or any other vices of note.
    No shit.
    what should I do

Start drinking and smoking and watching television.

Drinking at least. It has been shown that non-drinkers dont live as long as drinkers. Presumably because they don't want to.

All sounds like Resolutions to me. A resolution by definition does not exclude negatives nor intentions to cease something.

Perhaps - but I wanted to distinguish it all the same. Actually I somewhat suspect my unconscious motivation in starting the thread is to _feel_ like I am doing something about the whole issue - while not actually doing much at all. But sometimes After Hours Group Mind can come out with a new angle on looking at things that often surprises me. And some advice seeking threads on here have been surprising and wonderful. So I thought I would dip the toe to see.

I know nothing about Zumba to be honest but I just googled it and a lot of the you tube videos in the results were people doing both together.

But no from what I see they are very different. Zumba looks like aerobic fitness programmes based around things like Salsa. Capoeira is more like a dance form based around martial arts that incorporates fighting and acrobatics into ritual dance styles.
    Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Dogs are pretty crap at cycling. I'd drop that.

Hehe good catch I like it - he runs along side mostly. :) He needs a _lot_ of exercise so I find a walk in the morning is not enough. He needs to be ran flat out.

I know nothing about Zumba to be honest but I just googled it and a lot of the you tube videos in the results were people doing both together.

But no from what I see they are very different. Zumba looks like aerobic fitness programmes based around things like Salsa. The first video I opened made it look like a competition to see how fast you can get your chest to vibrate. Interestingly enough wiki informs me the entire thing was invented mostly by mistake.

Capoeira is more like a dance form based around martial arts that incorporates fighting and acrobatics into ritual dance styles. Really great for fitness and core strength. But as a dance floor dance form you would generally only hurt everyone else - and in a fight you would basically only manage to hurt yourself. But I love it all the same. Especially in groups or with a partner as it involves a lot of discipline and timing not to kick each other in the head.
    stimpson wrote: »
    Drinking at least. It has been shown that non-drinkers dont live as long as drinkers. Presumably because they don't want to.

Hah - well by not drinking I mean I do not get drunk. I do quite often have a single glass of something or other with meals or during a relax. Wine and Whisky mostly. But never enough to get anything but the mildest of buzzes from it.

Advertisement