Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing a car from England - VRT Exemption

Options
  • 12-01-2017 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,
    I have looked a bit on the forums, I apologize in advance if this has been answered before but cant find out the exact advice I need!

Last March after almost 8 years I moved back to Ireland from England. If I could have afforded it before I left England I would have imported a car and applied for VRT exemption through the change of residency.

If I bought a car in England now (I still have legitimate address and UK bank accounts in use monthly), would I be able somehow to manage VRT exemption?
    I know id have to tax and insure it in UK for 6 months - this isn't a problem (I could even leave it there for that time) but considering my employment has changed from UK to Ireland since March 2016 would the Revenue accept it?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

IIRC, you would have to have owned the car for some time prior to importing it to ROI to claim a VRT exemption. According to revenue website you must have owned the vehicle for at least six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If your an Irish resident for the last 8 months then to my knowledge you cannot apply for VRT exemption now. They also look for evidence of UK rental or mortgage payments, UK car insurance and UK motor tax i.e. you need to be living in the UK and using the car in the UK for a certain period of time to qualify. It's very difficult to pull the wool over their eyes on this exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 laserhalen

Hi Chiorino,
    Thanks for the reply but I know this. If I were to buy a car in the UK today I do have the means to leave it there taxed and insured for that 6 month period (however stupid that might sound!)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

laserhalen wrote: »
    Hi Chiorino,
    Thanks for the reply but I know this. If I were to buy a car in the UK today I do have the means to leave it there taxed and insured for that 6 month period (however stupid that might sound!)

Possibly but as bazz mentioned in the last reply, revenue have copped on to a lot of this and will look for a lot of other supporting documentation.

bazz26 wrote: »
    If your an Irish resident for the last 8 months then to my knowledge you cannot apply for VRT exemption now. They also look for evidence of UK rental or mortgage payments, UK car insurance and UK motor tax i.e. you need to be living in the UK and using the car in the UK for a certain period of time to qualify. It's difficult to pull the wool over their eyes on this.

You are correct in that he cannot apply for the exemption in the scenario he as given.

However in case someone in a difference scenario were to read it you can apply for the exemption if you have already been many months living in Ireland once you owned and used the car in the UK for the 6 months prior to moving over. In fact you are allowed use the car for 6 months here before registering it (well you were unless it has changed very recently).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yeah that's what I was sort of getting at, just didn't phrase it very well.

Thanks for all the replies, I'm impressed with the speed!

OK so its clear to me I cannot do this with a car bought now. Just for the record I wasn't trying to pull the wool I was intending to explain to Revenue the situation. I was just wondering if it would be a waste of time once they got my dates of salary changed over.

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭goochy

I for one hope youre not able to do it , why didn't you buy one before you came back ? you want youre cake and to eat . I work for the revenue and will be trying to identify you now. lol

goochy wrote: »
    I for one hope youre not able to do it , why didn't you buy one before you came back ? you want youre cake and to eat . I work for the revenue and will be trying to identify you now. lol

I wish I could have bought one before I came back but as I mentioned in the original post I couldn't afford it. I had a company car there plus a 2.5l car that I wouldnt have been able to affort to tax over here. So I sold it to help pay for the move.

Dont waste the revenues time, ill identify myself to them soon enough!!

Advertisement