Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swiss town denies passport to vegan campaigner 'for being annoying'

Options
  • 12-01-2017 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/switzerland-deny-passport-dutch-vegan-anti-cowbell-nancy-holten-animal-rights-annoying-a7520991.html
    A woman has been denied a second application for a Swiss passport after local residents took offence to her rejection of traditions and her “annoying” campaigning.

Nancy Holten, 42, who was born in the Netherlands, moved to Switzerland when she was eight. She is fluent in Swiss German and her children have Swiss citizenship.

The animal rights activist has campaigned publicly against the local traditions of putting bells around cows’ necks and piglet racing, according to The Local.

In her village within the canton of Aargau, Ms Holten, a vegan, has rubbed locals up the wrong way by giving interviews to the media about her views on animal rights.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

now that's democracy :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭Clarebelly

God help her children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

Thanks for that op. What's the weather for the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Surely this should be in the politics forum as its about immigration?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

She may have a point re the bells but leave the piglet racing out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Fook it I have long been a believer that the Swiss were a money grabbing lot who helped keep the Nazi war machine going for years longer than it should, but I am beginning to like the Swiss more and more of late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Thanks for that op. What's the weather for the weekend?

Cloudy with a chance of meatballs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

jmayo wrote: »
    Fook it I have long been a believer that the Swiss were a money grabbing lot who helped keep the Nazi war machine going for years longer than it should, but I am beginning to like the Swiss more and more of late.

Godwin's Law has been invoked by the 8th post. Is this a new record for boards.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

dfeo wrote: »
    Godwin's Law has been invoked by the 8th post. Is this a new record for boards.ie?

insert Princess Bride meme....

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Surely this should be in the politics forum as its about immigration?

Give him time. He can't be here 24/7 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

dfeo wrote: »

Why not check out history, you might learn something. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Who could be against piglet racing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

What's wrong with an itty bitty bell around a cows neck?

*follows link*

WTF?!!?!?! The size of those bells?!?!? It's like a small hatchback!!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I feel quite bad for her actually, she's lived in Switzerland since she was eight years old, so she is Swiss for all intents and purposes. Also, her being vegan has nothing to do with the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Who could be against piglet racing?

Piglets maybe..??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

To be fair those cows look like their necks are about to break with the weight of the bells.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I feel quite bad for her actually, she's lived in Switzerland since she was eight years old, so she is Swiss for all intents and purposes. Also, her being vegan has nothing to do with the story.
    it's virtue signalling for all the anti-liberals to come out and start flinging poo around.

"Annoying woman denied Swiss citizenship" doesn't quite get the donkeys braying loudly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

elperello wrote: »
    Piglets maybe..??

I've never seen a piglet happier than when racing other piglets. Highly social animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Zwart Pete was on the baccy again, he was supposed to drop her off in Spain

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you want to hate them again then they are running a scam where all of Zambia's copper is exported on paper through a small village for tax avoidance reasons.

Scum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 FatHeadFred

The Swiss people get a say in who gets naturalisatised citizenship?

We should have the same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

"Tanja Suter, the president of the local Swiss People’s Party, claimed Ms Holten has a “big mouth” and residents had not wanted to give her the gift of citizenship “if she annoys us and doesn’t respect our traditions”."

With 144 out of 206 residents not wanting her and her big mouth there, even if she gets the passport approved at a government level she would be better off moving to a different area :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

elperello wrote: »
    Piglets maybe..??

That's the talk of loser piglets. You won't hear the ones who win complaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

r3nu4l wrote: »
    That's the talk of loser piglets. You won't hear the ones who win complaining!

Loser piglets get eaten!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

They're the Prince Philip of Europe: wealthy, intemperate curmudgeons but mordantly amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

While you're at it, throw in Ford and General Motors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Best thread of 2017 so far. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The Swiss love their cow bells, I got a very cheap flight to Switzerland last month with Ryanair, I was in Lucerne and heard this loud noise and decided to see what was going on - a man dressed as St Nicholas was parading through the streets followed by two groups of men and boys dressed in what I assume is traditional Swiss clothing, and they were ringing cow bells, they can't be too heavy, as the youngest boy ringing them must have been 8 or 9 years old.
    It was also clear the Swiss cherish cattle, given I saw statues of cattle in two different cities.
    That vegan woman who lived there since she was 8, was obviously blinded by her veganism to not see that she was attacking something that was very Swiss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 OxfordColours

If you want to hate them again then they are running a scam where all of Zambia's copper is exported on paper through a small village for tax avoidance reasons.

Scum.

You can't hate a whole nation of people, because of the actions of a single large corporate body?

Advertisement