Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Authority Engineer Entitlements

Options
  • 12-01-2017 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi
    Can someone please answer the following for a new entrant to the local authority e.g. A senior executive engineer?
    - how many days annual leave?
    - is the 12 days flexi time given?
    - is maternity leave full pay and is this given even if still in probation period?
    - how much in total (% wise) has to be paid towards pension and what pension do you get in return for this?
    - finally, are all local authorities the exact same when it comes to all this?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi
    Can someone please answer the following for a new entrant to the local authority e.g. A senior executive engineer?
    - how many days annual leave?
    - is the 12 days flexi time given?
    - is maternity leave full pay and is this given even if still in probation period?
    - how much in total (% wise) has to be paid towards pension and what pension do you get in return for this?
    - finally, are all local authorities the exact same when it comes to all this?
    Thanks!

Senior Executive Engineer is a Grade 8 (or there abouts). The technical roles differ slightly to the admin grades.

You should get 30 days holiday, but some of these are reserved for Xmas.
    Flexi time is at the discretion of your department boss and you have to work up the time and it can only be taken one day a month.
    Maternity leave is full pay, but I'm not sure if you continue to get full pay from the job and they claim balance from SW or you have to split the payments (I'll ask a girl tomorrow).
    You pay about 6.5% for the pension but then on top of that you pay an even bigger amount in pension levy.
    Benefits are career average salary calculated to 50% as a pension but this included the state OAP, not on top of the state OAP. You also get a 1.5 salary lump sum on retirement (both of these assume 40 years service, less is pro rata).
    All LA's operate the same pay scales as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Independent12

Thanks for the reply.
    When you say "an even bigger" amount for the pension do you know what this is?
    I thought it was 6.5% all in :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks for the reply.
    When you say "an even bigger" amount for the pension do you know what this is?
    I thought it was 6.5% all in :eek:

Sorry, I got them slightly mixed up......totally opposite.

Payday today (fortnightly). Pension payment was €91 and Pension Levy was €81.

Advertisement