Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil burner leaking

Options
  • 12-01-2017 3:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have a Popular 90 oil boiler in my shed which has been leaking badly for the last two weeks and leaving lots of steam in the shed even when it is only on for an hour.Can anyone tell me is this dangerous and can they be repaired as a new one costs €1300 and then someone has to install it.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

I got a fella out two months ago to repair a boiler others wrote off, in Sligo. I thought he was a chancer as he uses his taxi as his work van but very skilled and knowledge.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

A few choices only, repair, replace or second-hand one.

You will cause more damage if you leave it running. Electrics need to be isolated and burner removed to save that part. Turn off oil at tank. You should drain down the system. If you have other boiler heading that will have to be suspended also, unless you can isolate the oil system by capping the ends at the boiler.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭blackvalley

There is a compound available which you add to the water that will stop minor leaks . In an open system it is added to the reservoir / expansion tank and in a closed system it can be added through a rad vent after closing and draining that particular rad. Any good plumbing supply shop should be able to advise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Galway62 wrote: »
    I have a Popular 90 oil boiler in my shed which has been leaking badly for the last two weeks and leaving lots of steam in the shed even when it is only on for an hour.Can anyone tell me is this dangerous and can they be repaired as a new one costs €1300 and then someone has to install it.
    It might be possible to get it welded but there is no guarantee that the boiler wont leak again in two months time.In my opinion you would be spending good money after bad getting it repaired and still have an old boiler that could leak again at any time.Also the heating system has to be checked for leaks etc
    The best boiler would be the grant vortex or grant euroflame HE.The euroflame is 100 cheaper approx.New boilers are high efficiency and will save are 20 percent cheaper approx to run.You also get a 5 year warranty.A new boiler will pay for itself in the long run.its a no brainer in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

Galway62 wrote: »

Yes this can be dangerous and you really shouldnt use the boiler and isolate the water, power and oil as wearb said

in general the only leaking boilers i have seen repaired with much success are ones that were damaged by frost as the steel in these tend to be in good condition and weld well, where as boilers that lead due to corrosion or over heating have weakened steel and even if the actual leak can be repaired they generally leak somewhere else in a very short time frame.

There is a compound available which you add to the water that will stop minor leaks . In an open system it is added to the reservoir / expansion tank and in a closed system it can be added through a rad vent after closing and draining that particular rad. Any good plumbing supply shop should be able to advise.

There are various products available for minor leaks in heating systems but these are not designed for the high temperatures and related expansion in the actual boiler
    agusta wrote: »
    .You also get a 5 year warranty.A new boiler will pay for itself in the long run.its a no brainer in my opinion.

one word of caution about warranty on boilers, like everything there are conditions on the warranties. one of these is that there are on leaks in te heating system and if your current boiler has rusted to the point of leaking it is possible you have a leak in your heating system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

They wouldn't entertain welding a boiler in Peru.

Advertisement