Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I feel like I'm stagnant

Options
  • 12-01-2017 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Story all; I literally created an account to get advice from strangers on the internet, which is tragic enough, but sure here goes...

I'm early twenties and I am heading back to college soon, I've been feeling anxious about heading back ever since New Years when I was obliged to do a mental stock-take of my existence.

Last academic year I loved everything about college. I loved heading out two or three times a week, spending almost every waking moment with my friends and just having a good time. The course work wasn't half bad either. This year however I feel like nothing engenders any fresh emotion in me, I feel like every night out is the same and conversations with friends only traverse well-worn ground. I find most of my lectures painfully dull and the only moment I felt truly alive last semester was when I was hitting the books like a madman right before exams because I had done not a tap up to then.

I just don't think I'm living in a proper sense and am continuously painfully aware that my college days are crawling past in a grey haze, and that makes me anxious because I'm supposed to be savouring every second.But i have no idea how to change things. I joined a couple clubs but they bored the tits off me even though they were full of people that enjoyed the same things as me (literature and history). I suppose those are more solo pursuits anyway.

I'm not sure what I'm asking for. If anyone has any tips on changing things, it'd be appreciated. I can't bare the thought reliving last semester again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

Perhaps you have the post Christmas returning to college blues. I remember finding it very hard to tune back in.

Are you enjoying your course in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Sounds like there are two issues here: you're bored with life. The question there is do you just need something to take your interest or is there a deeper problem such as depression.

The other issue is viewing your life from the outside and judging it. You judge yourself for posting a problem on the internet. You worry you're not living as you should be. You worry about the college experience. It's a pretty common trait in your early 20s but I would recommend trying to live life without worrying so much about whether or not that life meets some criteria that qualifies it as a good life.

Advertisement