Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap phone for playing spotify while running

Options
  • 11-01-2017 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

I'm hoping someone might have recommendations for perhaps a cheap chinese brand. I'm looking for a device that I can play spotify off-line, but is small, light and easy to store in a pocket while running (I know I can get the belts or armbands, but would still like a small device.) Would also like to be able to give to kids for games / music. Ideally, a 4.5", but max 5". I was looking at the vodafone smart mini 7, but wondering if there's something cheaper. Network is irrelevant, as it won't be used as a phone - only on wifi. Need to be able to get a robust enough case to help prevent screen breakage :-) Ideally, want android 6.0, so as onboard storage is relatively irrelevant, as I can use a SD card. Would prefer 1gb ram too.....

All suggestions welcome :-)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

Look at a cubot. Dirt cheap and work well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Look at a cubot. Dirt cheap and work well

+1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01E08JN0A?psc=1

This one doesn't have WiFi, but has bluetooth... & SD card... What is the purpose of needing WiFi? File transfer, or Casting?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

Bluefoam wrote: »
    +1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01E08JN0A?psc=1

This one doesn't have WiFi, but has bluetooth... & SD card... What is the purpose of needing WiFi? File transfer, or Casting?

Wifi is for spotify, to allow the app run in offline mode (and possibly online if in free wifi area).

Will take a look at cubot. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

alowe wrote: »
    Wifi is for spotify, to allow the app run in offline mode

aha, of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Get as small and light as you can, I have an OLD original Moto G for running which is great, small fast good battery and light.

just get something second hand and clear it down. I only use it for running and sync to my Bluetooth Jaybird headphones.

Oh and using map my run and strava with the GPS.

Cubot is overkill for a jogging device that you wont put a SIM into. spend cheap its pointless buying new.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Get as small and light as you can, I have an OLD original Moto G for running which is great, small fast good battery and light.

just get something second hand and clear it down. I only use it for running and sync to my Bluetooth Jaybird headphones.

Oh and using map my run and strava with the GPS.

Cubot is overkill for a jogging device that you wont put a SIM into. spend cheap its pointless buying new.

I agree - but was going to use it with kids also for brief game-playing when out and about, and to save me carrying a full tablet. Ideally I just want a 4.5" tablet for under €50... but not possible. Cubot on amazon seems to be min €70, so cheaper vodafone payg seems better. All chinese ones I saw in my brief look were much higher end and not worth it for running mp3 player.

Never thought of my map my run - but good idea. I'm only starting!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Not as cheap but android wear is brilliant for this ;)

ED E wrote: »
    Not as cheap but android wear is brilliant for this ;)

But would I not need to carry my phone with me as no WiFi on the open road....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,335 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Get a Amazon fire tablet for the kids and a small MP3 player for yourself

ted1 wrote: »
    Get a Amazon fire tablet for the kids and a small MP3 player for yourself

Want to play Spotify offline so mp3 player, unless an I touch, isn't of use :-( have a fire tablet too, but with protective kids case takes up a lot more space in handbag than a small phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

alowe wrote: »
    But would I not need to carry my phone with me as no WiFi on the open road....

Nope, you can cache on the watch (4GB). Bluetooth headphones and a small watch, tracks your heart rate (no GPS except for new models). Its pretty nice.

(Havent tested it with Spotify, deffo works for Google Music but no reason why not).

ED E wrote: »
    Nope, you can cache on the watch (4GB). Bluetooth headphones and a small watch, tracks your heart rate (no GPS except for new models). Its pretty nice.

(Havent tested it with Spotify, deffo works for Google Music but no reason why not).

Good to know - will take a look. Prob not what i'm after this time, as want something for kids too - but good to know they're progressed a lot more than the basic one I got last year.

Advertisement