Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost car insurance after 3 years off for drink driving

Options
  • 11-01-2017 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Is the cost of insurance related to car model/year/engine size or a huge flat cost insurance? Say 4-5k regardless of car ? Anybidea for 45 u.o. male after 3 years off the road?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Er, no.
    cost is based on a magical formula which the insurance companies wont share, but bigger more powerful cars cost more then small weak ones and cars over 10 years old are a nono.

Expect quotes from 3k up if you can actually get a quote due to your ban

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Im in the same boat, ban ends Feb 1st.

What I've been doing is looking at online quotes without mentioning the ban and then adding €1000 to it. Hopefully I wont be to far out when I go ringing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

brembo26 wrote: »
    Im in the same boat, ban ends Feb 1st.

What I've been doing is looking at online quotes without mentioning the ban and then adding €1000 to it. Hopefully I wont be to far out when I go ringing :(

it will all depend on your NCB if you have still have that it will make a hugh difference, if you don't you will be looking at thousands.

gustafo wrote: »
    it will all depend on your NCB if you have still have that it will make a hugh difference, if you don't you will be looking at thousands.

No NCB, no previous claims, Licence held for 8-9 years, 25 years old, male... The odds are against me :o

Expecting €3500-€4000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

No NCB, no previous claims, Licence held for 8-9 years, 25 years old, male... The odds are against me :o

Expecting €3500-€4000.

If you have no bonus to use then you are probably looking at a base premium of minimum of €2000.

Depending on the severity of the conviction you are probably looking at a loading of at least 100% and you will most likely have to go down the DCC route.

• Advertisement

I got the mandatory minimum 2 years ban for being over the limit on the way to work the following morning after a few the night before.

Ill reply to the thread in a few weeks time and let ye know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Are u off for a full 3 years if u can get 24 months it'll make a big difference

lab man wrote: »
    Are u off for a full 3 years if u can get 24 months it'll make a big difference

No just 24 months in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Ray007

Thanks for the replies.

One line got my attention...."if you can actually get a quote due to your ban". So what is the alternative if I can't get a quote? I'm a bit shocked this is a possibility. I understand I made a mistake and so on, but the punishment was the time I was off the road with all the social implications of changing jobs, embarrassment and so on, but not getting a quote? Is this legal?

And one more thing? Why can you not get insured in cars older than 10 y.o? What's wrong with them?

THanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Ray007 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

One line got my attention...."if you can actually get a quote due to your ban". So what is the alternative if I can't get a quote? I'm a bit shocked this is a possibility. I understand I made a mistake and so on, but the punishment was the time I was off the road with all the social implications of changing jobs, embarrassment and so on, but not getting a quote? Is this legal?

And one more thing? Why can you not get insured in cars older than 10 y.o? What's wrong with them?

THanks

Your last insurer has to quote you so you'll definitely get a quote but it could be astronomical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

Thanks for the replies.

THanks

From the citizens advise page on motor insurance:
    "Size and age of car
    The engine capacity and age of the car play a large part in determining the cost of your premium. The older the car, the more difficult it can be to insure. Many insurance companies believe that the older a car is, the more accident-prone it becomes. A new car is more expensive to replace than an old car and will cost more to insure. Likewise, the more powerful the car you drive, the more it will cost to insure."

Also:
    "If you are refused motor insurance
    Individual insurers have the right to refuse you cover, but they must provide you with a reason for the refusal should you ask for one. However, even though you have been refused cover, you are entitled to go to the Declined Cases Committee of Insurance Ireland who will obtain an insurance quotation for you. In order for the Committee to consider your case you must first have sought and been refused quotations in writing from at least three insurers."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Thanks for the replies.

THanks

*not a lecture*

They can refuse you because you made a conscious decision to consume alcohol and get into a car and drive. Alcohol can severely effect your ability to drive and has been responsible for countless accidents and deaths throughout the years.

Insurers will try as best they can to mitigate their potential exposure to claims and if someone has a conviction for drink driving then they are a higher risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Hunter101

26yo make. Convicted of drink driving for 2 years. Also a pedestrian got hurt but it was 50/50 liability. Back on the road in April and got a quote for a 08 1.3 Astra diesel of just over €6000.

Hope this gives you some idea, if ye have any tips or could tell me how ye got insured the cheapest that'd be great?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 devil red

Hi, I'm just getting back on the road after 2 years of for drink driving, did u get insured yet, I'm looking for quotes too

I got delayed in buying a car so I have no update yet. Ill be picking up something at the end of the month so ill reply then. I still reckon ill be paying about €3500-€4000 on a 08 1.6 petrol focus, 25yrs old and hold a full licence for 8 years.

How have you been getting on with quotes?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 devil red

Hi, Brembo, I'm 37 had clean licence for 17 years, just got quote today from quote devil for 1400 was happy enough with that. Hope u get a good quote

devil red wrote: »
    Hi, Brembo, I'm 37 had clean licence for 17 years, just got quote today from quote devil for 1400 was happy enough with that. Hope u get a good quote

Wast that quote over the phone? And what car?

Just to update the thread, I received a quote yesterday on a 08 1.4 petrol focus, 25yrs old and hold a full licence for 8 years, just finished a 2 year ban for €3752.

Every other place I rang was €5000+

Didnt get declined by any.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Thanks for the replies.

THanks

There should be nothing wrong with any car over ten years old if it has passed the NCT.It appears to be just another excuse Insurance Companies use to screw us which makes a complete mockery of the NCT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

There should be nothing wrong with any car over ten years old if it has passed the NCT.It appears to be just another excuse Insurance Companies use to screw us which makes a complete mockery of the NCT.

How are insurance companies 'screwing you' by refusing to take your money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

I read it as more the amount they take rather than refusing. I've 31 years no claims and would love to be paying €350-€500 but because I drive a 14 year old car I'm expecting to be paying €1,000 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

This thread is asking for advice on how to get re insured, not whether individual posters think the OP is entitled to drive again so let's keep on topic.

By screwing everyone who tries to take out a policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

By screwing everyone who tries to take out a policy.

So when an Insurance company declines to issue you with a policy, no matter what the premium you are prepared to offer them, they are screwing you. I can't follow your logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Thanks for the replies.

THanks

You've a recent conviction for being over the legal alcohol limit when driving. You are a massive risk for an insurer.

Them's the breaks when you put other people's lives at risk.

As for getting insured - maybe try a number of brokers and see what they can do for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

devil red wrote: »

Hi - would you mind letting me know the type of car and year. How long was your ban for? Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Plektrum, please start a new thread with your specific circumstances. Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement