Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are chicken's self sustaining?

Options
  • 11-01-2017 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

Picture me this. A chicken in a hut with no doors no escape. She lays one egg a day, scrambles it mostly, sometimes poaches it and then eats the egg. How long does the chicken survive doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Picture me this. A chicken in a hut with no doors no escape. She lays one egg a day, scrambles it mostly, sometimes poaches it and then eats the egg. How long does the chicken survive doing this?

Chicken survives into old age after securing a lucrative TV deal to present a cookery show as the only chicken in the world who can scramble eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I'm eating my breakfast Kate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

A laying chicken needs about 300 calories a day to lay one egg 4 out of 5 days.

An egg has about 150 calories.

So you chicken is on a half calorie diet and won't lay after about 1 or 2 days, so it'll die in less than a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

She would die of thirst after a short while. Even if she didn't it requires more energy to make an egg than you get from it so only a few days with water.

• Advertisement

eeguy wrote: »

So you chicken is on a half calorie diet and won't lay after about 1 or 2 days, so it'll die in less than a week.

That's interesting. I didn't realise it took so much energy to produce an egg, it seems a huge requirement for a wee thing like a chicken. Chicken feed must be very calorie dense to provide so many kilojoules.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Candie wrote: »
    That's interesting. I didn't realise it took so much energy to produce an egg, it seems a huge requirement for a wee thing like a chicken. Chicken feed must be very calorie dense to provide so many kilojoules.

It's not an eggact science.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Del2005 wrote: »
    She would die of thirst after a short while. Even if she didn't it requires more energy to make an egg than you get from it so only a few days with water.
    Eh, couldn't she just drink the water she used to poach the egg?

A chicken who could poach an egg would figure that out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

No, she'd need all sorts of nutrients that she can't get from eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Candie wrote: »

It's simpler to just go to the shop and buy them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Who is fertilising the eggs?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Also a very good point :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Well, they are restless!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Chickens don't have opposable thumbs. They're quite resourceful though, so she will find a way to light the stove to make her scrambled/poached egg. But she will knock it over, set fire to her own bedding and the coop will be ablaze within seconds. She will not make it through the first day.

RIP Chicken.

Still, roast chick is lovely, so it's not all bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Didn't know chickens needed 300 calories a day. How many calories are in a Cadburys creme egg? Would you be able to feed one of those to a chicken.

What else do I need to know about chickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

those Creme Eggs They were in the shops before Christmas they were mad stuff what next aaaargghhh aaaaaghhhh help me

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Peregrine wrote: »
    Also a very good point :pac:
    Or is it? A trip to the farming forum might be needed ;)

Why do the eggs need to be fertilised?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

How hypothetical is this question? Are you really the chicken?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why do the eggs need to be fertilised?

More protein in a foetus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

More protein in a foetus.

Not if they're eaten straight after being laid. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Robbed from YLYL thread

In5g_Ui_O.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

150 calories in an egg? Is it dinosaur eggs you're atein?

150 calories in an egg? Is it dinosaur eggs you're atein?

It's the eggs wikipedia eat.

Probably American. Full of sugar :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 171 ✭✭Gavinz

It does in its hole.

Advertisement