Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build insulation

Options
  • 10-01-2017 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi all,
    I'm currently at the subfloor level of a new bulid. 2 story 2900 sq ft. Air to water heating. I'm torn over building in 110mm quinntherm insul board or pumping the 150mm cavity at the end. All suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

KingPuck01 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm currently at the subfloor level of a new bulid. 2 story 2900 sq ft. Air to water heating. I'm torn over building in 110mm quinntherm insul board or pumping the 150mm cavity at the end. All suggestions would be appreciated.

What has your BER Report called for?
    Have you discussed it with your BER Assessor to see what the differences V cost will achieve?
    Have you discussed it with your builder to see if it impacts on programme and costs to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

KingPuck01 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Or OP: why bother with any?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Not a huge difference between the u-value of the two options listed as far as I know (assuming platinum bonded bead) so to give the benefit of the doubt to the OP he may be discussing both with his designer.

The only thing is that I think the Part L compliance might be tough with either. I think they might both skirt around the backstop value.

Assuming your BER/DEAP assessor can make the calculations work with either of these options OP then:

Pumped bead:
    Quick
    Easier for blocklayers
    In theory should be continuous - i.e. no gaps. (Big emphasis on "in theory")

Slab:
    Maintains cavity - (definite weather proofing benefits, possible thermal looping dowsides)
    Extra work for blocklayers but possibly forces them to be tidier
    Joints in insulation.

There's no right answer.

Advertisement