Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Appliance Repair Course

Options
  • 10-01-2017 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Might be a stretch to be considered a bargain, considering it's not on sale. But, they do a Domestic Appliance Repair Course in Dún Laoghaire Further
    Education Institute.

For me i rekon, you do the course, and if you fix one thing in your house for the rest of your life the course has paid for itself. And it might be interesting.

Advertised as "Reduce your home bills by learning to maintain, service and repair your electrical appliances. Includes washing machines, cookers, tumble dryers, vacuum cleaners and dishwashers etc. Follow ‘good safety practice’ and save money."

Cost is 115e, Mon: 7.30-9.30pm, lasts 8 weeks, starts end of jan.
    http://dfei.ie/evening/monday

Thought somebody looking to save some money might find it interesting :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

Thats actually pretty cool.
    If it was over this neck of the woods I'd deffo do it.

Thanks for the creative thinkin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Love to do it, I generally surf appliance issues and try myself before deciding whether economical for callout repair or not, small things like pumps or brushes are very easy and DIY'able, my favourite break down is Dyson, our 7 year old has had basically everything replaced, you can get a brand new generic motor for €20 and keep that baby going rather than dump and buy a new one.
    Shame too far away for me

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,633 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Couldn't anything like this be found on YouTube though?

I usually get all my info from YouTube for free prior to doing any DIY

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

mrcheez wrote: »
    Couldn't anything like this be found on YouTube though?

I usually get all my info from YouTube for free prior to doing any DIY

Usually, but it's a great excuse to get out and learn something. There is no replacement for classroom training.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

The biggest benefit I would see with this course is being able to diagnose a problem, and to know whether it's worth fixing the appliace or just replacing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

https://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/ is a good source for common problems, used to be better before they split into a private trade section.

First rule is ask yourself is it worth fixing, no point in putting €50 into a cheap appliance if you can get a better one working on adverts/donedeal for €80-€120.
    slave1 wrote: »
    our 7 year old has had basically everything replaced, you can get a brand new generic motor for €20 and keep that baby going rather than dump and buy a new one.

Surely thats justification for selling it before it breaks again and buying something else like a miele :D My wife is facing divorce proceedings if she ever brings a dyson into our house. Our two hoovers nilfisk and numatic have a combined 32 years on them with no replacement parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭asharkman

vienne86 wrote: »
    The biggest benefit I would see with this course is being able to diagnose a problem, and to know whether it's worth fixing the appliace or just replacing it.

That's exactly what i was thinking! Like the guys are saying, the generic parts are sometimes quite cheap so you can try the cheapo fixes first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

https://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/ is a good source for common problems, used to be better before they split into a private trade section.

First rule is ask yourself is it worth fixing, no point in putting €50 into a cheap appliance if you can get a better one working on adverts/donedeal for €80-€120.

Surely thats justification for selling it before it breaks again and buying something else like a miele :D My wife is facing divorce proceedings if she ever brings a dyson into our house. Our two hoovers nilfisk and numatic have a combined 32 years on them with no replacement parts.[/rest of the so called premium ones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

asharkman wrote: »
    Advertised as "Reduce your home bills by learning to maintain, service and repair your electrical appliances. Includes washing machines, cookers, tumble dryers, vacuum cleaners and dishwashers etc. Follow ‘good safety practice’ and save money."

Where did you see this bit? I can't find that or any sort of course prospectus at all.

found it - https://vecweb.vecnet.ie/web_aeccodublin/webbook2/webbookcourse_DDLETB_DCFE.asp

budgemook wrote: »
    Where did you see this bit? I can't find that or any sort of course prospectus at all.

found it - https://vecweb.vecnet.ie/web_aeccodublin/webbook2/webbookcourse_DDLETB_DCFE.asp

its a terrible website, all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Hey, the Website design complaining course is Tuesday nights

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IRCA

1 Click - Hobby and Leisure

Soooo difficult......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

IRCA wrote: »
    1 Click - Hobby and Leisure

Soooo difficult......

Actually it's
    - Click Apply
    - Click Hobby and Leisure
    - Click More Info

so you need to go down the apply route before seeing any details.

A user experience or web design course could be right for you!

I'm genuinely excited about this.
    What is wrong with me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Random 8 digit number worked for me. Good to see a lot of magazines there too - even Viz! Problem is when I try to go to the next page it just takes me back to the home screen on Chrome on my PC/fails to load on my mobile. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

digitaldr wrote: »
    Random 8 digit number worked for me. Good to see a lot of magazines there too - even Viz! Problem is when I try to go to the next page it just takes me back to the home screen on Chrome on my PC/fails to load on my mobile. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Should you be here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

dodzy wrote: »
    Should you be here ?

Oops sorry - too many tabs open!

Advertisement