Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There's retro C64 & ZX Spectrum hardware, why not a Amstrad CPC 464?

Options
  • 10-01-2017 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

I can't see why Amstrad would try and prevent this - they owned the licensing for the ZX Spectrum back in the day.
    Would you buy CPC 464 retro hardware at the right price - what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    I can't see why Amstrad would try and prevent this - they owned the licensing for the ZX Spectrum back in the day.
    Would you buy CPC 464 retro hardware at the right price - what do you think?

There was one, or the early start of the one a couple of years ago. Not sure it ever got anywhere.

http://cpcfpga.com

Presume it's just numbers of people who had an Amstrad and might be tempted back is smaller market than Spectrum, Commodore and most other manufacturers?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

There is plenty of hardware both retro and new for the CPC, check out the cpcwiki

What there isn't is load of cash-in kickstarter projects promising all sorts of things. For 2 reasons I think:
    1. Much smaller market share the either C64 or ZX
    2. The original hardware was so well designed most units are still working fine so no need for new repos.

(One of the above may be a lie)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

While the Spectrum and C64 were iconic pieces of hardware and had genre defining titles the Amstrad didn't really bring the same drama or excitement.
    I'm hard-pressed to think of a single game that would make me invest in a plug and play one.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    While the Spectrum and C64 were iconic pieces of hardware and had genre defining titles the Amstrad didn't really bring the same drama or excitement.
    I'm hard-pressed to think of a single game that would make me invest in a plug and play one.

You, sir, have not played House of Ussher on the 464 :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You're not wrong there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

what exclusive or original games on the Amstrad were any good and made people buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Having played the CPC464 when younger in friends houses, the only game that I can think of that I didn't see on other machines is "Roland on the Ropes"

It looks worse than I remember! :)

Owning a CPC464 from what I remember was a pain. You needed a monitor (colour or lovely green screen) or a large modulator to get it onto a TV. I'm sure there are RGB cables for it now. Its one of those machines you would take if someone offered it to you for free but I wouldn't go buying one

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Having played the CPC464 when younger in friends houses, the only game that I can think of that I didn't see on other machines is "Roland on the Ropes"

It looks worse than I remember! :)

Owning a CPC464 from what I remember was a pain. You needed a monitor (colour or lovely green screen) or a large modulator to get it onto a TV. I'm sure there are RGB cables for it now. Its one of those machines you would take if someone offered it to you for free but I wouldn't go buying one

That's very, very similar to Fred on the ZX Spectrum, no idea which came first. A lot of very similar games back in those days, clone was nice way of putting it, straight rip off another way.

The Trap Door...
    ZX Spectrum
    Amstrad can k1ss my a55!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Anything made by the Oliver Twins was generally better on the Amstrad as it was their platform of choice, they developed primarily on the Amstrad, unlike most other devs who lazily ported from the ZX.

CPC6128 is a great machine :)

• Advertisement

Anything made by the Oliver Twins was generally better on the Amstrad as it was their platform of choice, they developed primarily on the Amstrad, unlike most other devs who lazily ported from the ZX.

CPC6128 is a great machine :)

The Story of the Oliver Twins book is on my to buy list. Bit pricey though at 25 pounds plus crazy postage. They were great, though just as guilty as most others then of knocking out shovel wear.

https://fusionretrobooks.com/products/the-story-of-the-oliver-twins

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

The Story of the Oliver Twins book is on my to buy list. Bit pricey though at 25 pounds plus crazy postage. They were great, though just as guilty as most others then of knocking out shovel wear.

https://fusionretrobooks.com/products/the-story-of-the-oliver-twins

They do some nice videos on YouTube too, where they play some of their old games and talk through their development

Roar wrote: »
    They do some nice videos on YouTube too, where they play some of their old games and talk through their development

Must have a look thanks for that. They seem like nice blokes, they have a nes game that's flown through a kickstarter too. Almost 29,000 pledged on a 6,000 goal.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/47744432/dreamworld-pogie-a-new-old-game-by-the-oliver-twin

Advertisement