Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help me find a camper

Options
  • 10-01-2017 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am in the market for a camper, surfing, festivals etc.
    I have been trawling DoneDeal and I see a lot of crap.
    Any good UK sites ?
    My money is 5 - 6 K, what would you recommend ?
    Thanks from a very naive camper enthusiast.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭TruthEnforcer

IMO you'll have to buy in the UK as you won't get anything decent for less than 7/8000 !

Heres something that may be of interest ? on Ebay.co.uk

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-Elgrand-Highway-Star-Day-Van-Camper-/262790472988?hash=item3d2f88651c:g:zXkAAOSwOVpXb-23

The only thing you need to watch if you wish to be in the UK .. is the Tax & Insurance.

In relation to Tax .. the new UK laws require any new owner to re-tax on handover .. which as an Irish resident you will have problem doing ..

With Insurance .. the UK is covered with 'Plate Recognition' cameras so you won't get too far without a Police Stop where they will require Proof of Insurance ... so the very least you'll need is a letter from your Insurer.

The easiest way around both these is to arrange with the seller to deliver the vehicle to a port or arrange for a Private Transport Co. to collect it and deliver it to you in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Alkers

What sort are you thinking of? If it's just for weekends, surfing and festivals I'd be inclined to go for a small can - transporter, bongo etc but if you intend to live in in for weeks at a time you may want to consider bigger but with bigger vans come less mobility and more cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭6541

Thanks for that, that is interesting alright. I would have liked to see inside pictures. I might mail him and ask.

IMO you'll have to buy in the UK as you won't get anything decent for less than 7/8000 !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-Elgrand-Highway-Star-Day-Van-Camper-/262790472988?hash=item3d2f88651c:g:zXkAAOSwOVpXb-23

The only thing you need to watch if you wish to be in the UK .. is the Tax & Insurance.

In relation to Tax .. the new UK laws require any new owner to re-tax on handover .. which as an Irish resident you will have problem doing ..

With Insurance .. the UK is covered with 'Plate Recognition' cameras so you won't get too far without a Police Stop where they will require Proof of Insurance ... so the very least you'll need is a letter from your Insurer.

The easiest way around both these is to arrange with the seller to deliver the vehicle to a port or arrange for a Private Transport Co. to collect it and deliver it to you in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

I could be wrong but I think that would be classed as a standard MPV when importing it to Ireland. You'd have to add some storage and cooking facilities, then go through the whole changing to camper thing with Revenue.

I've got all my vans in Ireland for less than the op's budget and always been happy. There is good value out there, can just take time to find it!

Advertisement