Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any tips bringing a dog home to a cat?

Options
  • 10-01-2017 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Gosh I've worded the title awkwardly!

We went to the shelter with the intention of adopting a puppy but ended up coming home with the most beautiful placid five year old dog who decided to adopt us.

The reasoning behind a puppy was that my cat wouldn't be too threatened by a pup.

Now there are no issues right now, I live in a nice size house and it's easy to keep the animals seperatly, the cat isn't behaving any differently so doesnt seem to be fussed and the dog isn't infringing too much on my cats territory, apart from me moving her litter and food but there will be times when they will meet.

I've brought the cat down in my arms to meet the dog. She was scared and miaowing and the dog was mad to get to her but wagging his tail.

Will I keep bringing the cat down to meet the dog and eventually leave her down? See the shelter think she will give him a fine swipe and that will be it but there has been no hissing from her, she's scared and I've observed that my dog does not like small dogs at all and if one comes near him on a walk growls. He is small himself so I wonder if push comes to shove will he go for her. He is a cross between some kind of terrier or maybe corgi and a pom IE small red and hairy.

Anyway any tips would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I wouldn't carry the cat down for the dog to meet, cats don't tend to do well if they feel trapped (in your arms for example), be sure if the dog and cat are together in the same room, that the cat has high and safe places it can go where the dog cannot get to her.

Is there a chance you could have a baby gate up between your kitchen and living room for example, allowing for your cat to be on the other side and able to see your dog and vice versa. I'd also probably only do this after your dog has had a nice walk (plus a game of fetch if possible) to get the excess energy out before trying to have the two of them comfortable around each other.

Freedom of choice (to escape/move away/move closer/etc) is a really important thing to allow your cat to have if she is to be comfortable and gain confidence around the dog. It's also important to reinforce to your dog that seeing the cat = good things happen, have a pocket of small treats on you, so you can give your dog a treat every time you see him do something you like. Sees the cat then ignores her? Treat!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

I had thought Of The stair gate but discounted it because my 3 year old will wreck my head but you know what? Going to get it and put up with the inconvenience :) The new addition hasnt even peed in the house or had any other accidents so I'm getting off so lightly that the stair gate is nothing. Great idea to put it at the kitchen door. They can both observe each other and we will see what happens and yes plenty of treats for both parties will be kept in the pocket!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

When we introduced our dog to our cat, we had the dog on the lead and the cat on the window sill where she was higher than the dog (he's not a jumper) to see how they reacted intially. The dog had come from a cat owning home, but the cats in question have very different personalities and our cat is very nervous and likely to run (which we were afriad would bring out a chase instinct). The first night we all (myself, husband, cat and dog) stayed in the kitchen and until everyone was settled enough to sleep.

I think we had a very easy introduction (he's a very chilled dog) but I think until you know he's not going to harm the cat or until you know the cat will swipe, then they'll need to be watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

I just brought in a preggers stray to have her kits with me in peace before spaying, and I've got a dog too. Have had the door to peregrines room shut for 5 days but she could hear the dog.Last night I opened it. She came wandering out and sniffed about, spotted the dog and disappeared. about 30 minutes later she re-appeared,stared at the dog (who was sleeping soundly) sniffed the air and ran off.That repeated itself a couple of times. In a few days she will be fine with him. Give it time, keep them separated but able to see each other. It will be just fine and I bet ya in time they will share a bed....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I had to introduce a german shepherd to a maine coon.

We sat them down, a good distance apart and chatted amongst ourselves, herself controlling the dog and me the cat.

Every few minutes, we would inch them a little closer to each other.

Over the course of an hour we finally had them lying side by side, and kept them there for a while. After this we had no issues.
    From hissing and barking to sleeping together on the same bed in 2 hours of work. Gently gently does it.

The biggest issue you'll find is that a dogs nature will have them running up to the cat and startling it, prompting a swipe. Control the dog, keep it moving slow and you'll prevent a lot of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Agree with controlling the dog. He can hurt the cat, the worst the cat will do is a scratch on the nose/face, so the cat has to be protected.
    We introduced our terriers to a kitten. These terriers were cat-haters. Found kitten, our first cat! The kitten (half feral) was kept separately while we tried to tame her, but after quite a time, we would let the dogs see the cat - through a glass door. Progressed to a baby gate separating them. Next step when the 'edge' was gone off the dogs, we put them on leashes and tied the leashes to our belts (:rolleyes:) while the cat was loose in the house. We did this for a couple of hours in the evening for a few days. Eventually everyone was bored with looking at each other, and calm and acceptance ensued. They're all great friends now - well the cat ADORES the dogs, but they just ignore/put up with her (mostly cos they get to lick her dishes I think!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Thanks everyone. All seems going fine here. Still keeping them mostly apart but it seems promising the limited viewing they have had so far. Great to read the experiences and tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I feel I should semi-retract what I said above. Since Tuesday evening my sisters dog, who is not cat friendly at all, has moved in. Because it is only temporary I'm not getting baby gates etc, so cat is eating on the counter in the utilty room and then sleeping in the bedroom while both dogs stay in the kitchen. The cat is getting better at hissing at the dog, but the dog is awfully confused as to what to do with a cat that wont run and she can't chase. At the moment it is all about management. I know given time they would get used to each other, but not risking the cat getting injured in the meantime.

Advertisement