Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow

Options
  • 10-01-2017 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Anyone know where lifestyle sports is gone from over at dunnes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

closed down after christmas, hasn't moved anywhere from what I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Splishsplash

tommycahir wrote: »
    closed down after christmas, hasn't moved anywhere from what I know.

Feck it obviously missed a good sale so ha thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Snaffles2014

Feck it obviously missed a good sale so ha thanks

Not sure if there was, i checked a few times over Xmas and there was no value to be had, same as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

Was it really doing that bad over at dunnes?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That's surprising...was a fine big store but was out on a limb over there. But the few times I was in it, there were more staff than customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Was it really doing that bad over at dunnes?

It was a bad location. There would be almost zero footfall going past the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

BattleCorp wrote: »
    It was a bad location. There would be almost zero footfall going past the shop.

I see the units up for sale now. Probably bought it outright that's why it stayed open for so long.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I see the units up for sale now. Probably bought it outright that's why it stayed open for so long.

Good luck selling that...isn't that whole place empty except Dunnes, a pharmacy and a few other things.
    I'd imagine Lifestyle will try another unit in Carlow, maybe in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

road_high wrote: »
    Good luck selling that...isn't that whole place empty except Dunnes, a pharmacy and a few other things.
    I'd imagine Lifestyle will try another unit in Carlow, maybe in the town.

Furniture shop that seems to have one of thoese fover sales and the Ivy rooms also otherwise that place is dead

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    BattleCorp wrote: »
    It was a bad location.  There would be almost zero footfall going past the shop.

That's mad, I would have thought it would make more sense to try and sell it will it was still open. Selling it now after its shut would sure drop the price, not a good move at all. Sell it and let the staff go to other stores.
    Weren't Lifestyle taken over recently (could have that wrong) so possibly won't see them in Carlow now, given the existing competition in the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Pity its gone but it was surely one of the worst lifestyle sports shops around. Barely any stock of runners and only the usual premier league shirts and irish jerseys. In comparison to the bigger shops around the region and even Kilkenny the stock and selection was pathetic. I ordered plenty of stuff off lifestyles online shop and had it delivered there and there was never anyone in it. Sports shops in general in Ireland have gone downhill IMO, they don't actually stock any sports equipment any more. If you want a decent pair of football boots you either head up to Dublin or buy online. Only decent sports shop in Carlow is JF and even they're limited in what they can stock.

Agreed about JF, and with them, Elverys and Sports World, that's all you'd need. I think boots are light on options everywhere, even in bigger stores in Dublin at times. The best value if you're going to spend a bit is online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Agreed about JF, and with them, Elverys and Sports World, that's all you'd need. I think boots are light on options everywhere, even in bigger stores in Dublin at times. The best value if you're going to spend a bit is online.

I'm surprised Elverys is still going to be honest, with the lack of footfall on Tullow Street and IMO rubbish selection inside its a wonder it doesn't have the same problems Lifestyle has. Not mad about Sports World, mostly cheap stuff in it but get the odd bargain. Yeah I suppose I'm just know where to go in Dublin to get a decent range, Blanchardstown Lifestyle/Nike store and Dundrum usually have the majority of high end boots in stock in my experience.

Sports World has gone down hill I think...just a lot of cheaper brands filling up the shop. It's pretty good for runners/footwear though.
    I was looking for a nice light running/gym jacket and literally couldn't find one in there the other day.

I'm surprised Elverys is still going to be honest, with the lack of footfall on Tullow Street and IMO rubbish selection inside its a wonder it doesn't have the same problems Lifestyle has. Not mad about Sports World, mostly cheap stuff in it but get the odd bargain. Yeah I suppose I'm just know where to go in Dublin to get a decent range, Blanchardstown Lifestyle/Nike store and Dundrum usually have the majority of high end boots in stock in my experience.

Yea Elverys is a big shop but half empty. Had difficulty getting the right size a couple of times on sale items (M/L). But they told me they could order it/online...why bother exist as a shop in that case :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

road_high wrote: »
    Yea Elverys is a big shop but half empty. Had difficulty getting the right size a couple of times on sale items (M/L). But they told me they could order it/online...why bother exist as a shop in that case :confused:

I was in Elvery's about 2 weeks ago and I thought that the shop was half empty too.

One good thing about Elverys is the insole machine they have, €50 a pair moulded to your foot shape. Nearest price to that is €120 in foot solutions. Really good value, and they reckon about 30-40% of people have aches and pains in hips, knees, back and all related to foot problems, fallen arches etc.

And if your buying stuff for a team in Elvery's they give you great value for that, something no other shop offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I think you'll find 90% of people don't need foot orthotics and it's an up sell from elverys.

Everyone falls for a bargain.

Advertisement