Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC build(first time building my own, not someone elses)

Options
  • 10-01-2017 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Hey, I've had a good bit of help from this forum, so firstly thanks. It's also one of the only Boards sections I can't stay away from. I've built a few PC's for others and never owned my own gaming PC, always used my brothers, who's PC I built from advice here and has served us well. Unfortunately he moved to Berlin to be a cool kid and the PC went with him.

So I got a few quid together over the Christmas and I'm planning on putting one together for myself. I'm getting everything bar the GPU for the moment, hopefully getting that next month for my Birthday. I've been down the rabbit hole of many different component questions and feel I've gotten something half decent, but I'd love some opinions on the build.

It's mainly a future proofish gaming build, with an extravagant case. The plan is to get a k processor to give me a little longer life with an overclock and an AIO cooler down the line. Probably going to get the 480 as mentioned in a month or so. I also do have a SSD sourced from a friend, but I was also wondering how worth it a M.2 SSD would be. Also processor doesn't come with a fan so not sure if I should pick up a stock on on the cheap or buy a cheap aftermarket one. Case also lacks a exhaust fan which I'm assuming I'll need?

1. What is your budget? €650-€700

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming and my main use pc

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? no

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Yes 120gb SSD

5. Do you need a monitor? I have an old 23" TV

5a. If yes, what size do you need. N/A

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1080 although would consider a 100 hertz plus pannel or a 1440p

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes

8. How can you pay? Bank Transfer Credit Card Laser Paypal

9. When are you purchasing? Next week or two

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? N/A

https://www.mindfactory.de/shopping_cart.php/basket_action/load_basket_extern/id/b5ffe3221fbe08ec10e56a4499bae8f816754c6abaf66385eab
    or
    CPU:Intel-Core-i5-6600K-4x-3-50GHz-So-1151-WOF (€250.49 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: ASRock-Z170-Pro4S-Intel-Z170-So-1151-Dual-Channel-DDR4-ATX-Retail (€105,94 @ Mindfactory)
    Memory: 8GB-Corsair-Vengeance-LPX-schwarz-DDR4-2133-DIMM-CL13-Dual-Kit (€63,10 @ Mindfactory)
    Case:Corsair-Midi-Crystal-460X-RGB--Tempered-Glass (€158,93 @ Mindfactory)
    Power Supply: 550-Watt-Corsair-CS-Series-CS550M-Modular-80--Gold(€78,95 @ Mindfactory)
    Total: €657,41

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Don't buy your case from mindfactory. It's also 158, not 58.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

you will have to get a 2nd Hard drive of some variety so factor the cost of that in as well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Don't bother with an M.2, price isn't currently justified for gaming or general use.

Can knock about €80 by getting a H170 board if there's certain board features you want and dropping to an i5 6500, can then upgrade to an i7 in time if you need the push, for general use and gaming the 6500 should set you up for years anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

An M.2 works exactly the same as regular SSD drive, just faster and more expensive, in real-world use you probably won't notice much difference.
    Personally I'd use the SSD you have already, as it only needs to hold OS, Software & few games.

Maybe up the RAM speed to the 8GB LPX DDR4-2400 dual kit, slightly faster for a few extra euro.

That 6600k doesn't come with stock cooler.
    CoolerMaster Hyper 212x is a great air CPU cooler for €32, well worth it if budget allows - http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212X-Tower-Kuehler_1027672.html

I'd personally downgrade the case to make room in the budget for a really good GPU in the system, especially if you are considering 1440p gaming.
    But it's up to you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Maybe confirm if you will get the GPU as your main present first ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

RossieMan wrote: »
    Don't buy your case from mindfactory. It's also 158, not 58.

Any reason for this, seems to be one of the few places that has the case in stock and has it at a much better price
    you will have to get a 2nd Hard drive of some variety so factor the cost of that in as well

Yeah I'll probably get one at some stage, but I don't store much stuff on my pc as is
    Don't bother with an M.2, price isn't currently justified for gaming or general use.

Can knock about €80 by getting a H170 board if there's certain board features you want and dropping to an i5 6500, can then upgrade to an i7 in time if you need the push, for general use and gaming the 6500 should set you up for years anyways.

M.2 drives seem to be similarly priced to new SSD's but much faster, something for the future more so anyway

As for the 6500, the extra clock speed and the ability to squeeze some more performance out of it seems worth the initial cost
    Moon54 wrote: »
    An M.2 works exactly the same as regular SSD drive, just faster and more expensive, in real-world use you probably won't notice much difference.
    Personally I'd use the SSD you have already, as it only needs to hold OS, Software & few games.

Maybe up the RAM speed to the 8GB LPX DDR4-2400 dual kit, slightly faster for a few extra euro.

That 6600k doesn't come with stock cooler.
    CoolerMaster Hyper 212x is a great air CPU cooler for €32, well worth it if budget allows - http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212X-Tower-Kuehler_1027672.html

I'd personally downgrade the case to make room in the budget for a really good GPU in the system, especially if you are considering 1440p gaming.
    But it's up to you. :)

Yeah I'll probably use the SSD sourced for now, more for upgrading in the future.

Is there actually any difference, most information seems to point to no real performance gain from the boost in clockspeed as it costs latency?

Yeah sorry I noticed that, typo in the original, yeah, I'll probably go for the hyper 212, used it in a few builds and everyone raves about it for the price.

I was looking at cases for ages and had settled on the 400c but I can't stop going back to the 460x, seems better value(relative to the 400) since you get 3 rgb fans and a tempered glass case, plus it's beautiful. The 480 is the GPU I was looking at and it seems to be pretty good at 1440p, although unlikely I'll have the money for a new monitor for a good while
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Maybe confirm if you will get the GPU as your main present first ;)

Ah I'm getting money so I'm pretty sure

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

You'll be charged 30 euro to get your case from mind factory.
    Get something from Amazon would be my recommendation.

Advertisement