Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northside Clubs

Options
  • 09-01-2017 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭

Looking to find a club reasonably adjacent to Glasnevin. My story...49 year old man who only started running 2 years ago. Beset by injuries. 5k 22.54, 5 mile 37.32, 10k 48.12, 10 mile 1:22, half 1:48. All my training has been done alone and guided by the internet. Looking to run with others at a similar level and pretty intimidated by big clubs with lots of elite athletes. 😖

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Looking to find a club reasonably adjacent to Glasnevin. My story...49 year old man who only started running 2 years ago. Beset by injuries. 5k 22.54, 5 mile 37.32, 10k 48.12, 10 mile 1:22, half 1:48. All my training has been done alone and guided by the internet. Looking to run with others at a similar level and pretty intimidated by big clubs with lots of elite athletes. 😖

You'd be very welcome in Raheny. you could come along to one of our winter races and chat to people. There's a two-miler Wednesday week at 8. Or come to St Anne's parkrun or the Sunday long run at 8am on Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

HelenAnne wrote: »
    You'd be very welcome in Raheny. you could come along to one of our winter races and chat to people. There's a two-miler Wednesday week at 8. Or come to St Anne's parkrun or the Sunday long run at 8am on Sundays.

Thanks. Raheny was the advice I got from a friend. I was just inhibited by the elite level of the club. Only returning from yet another injury so it'll be a few weeks before I get down.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Thanks. Raheny was the advice I got from a friend. I was just inhibited by the elite level of the club. Only returning from yet another injury so it'll be a few weeks before I get down.

Far from all of us are elites! Have a look at the results here to see the range at the park runs and club races

http://rahenyshamrock.ie/?cat=6

All the rest of the info is on the site too -- the next race etc is under fixtures. We'd be delighted to have you.

Far from all of us are elites! Have a look at the results here to see the range at the park runs and club races

http://rahenyshamrock.ie/?cat=6

All the rest of the info is on the site too -- the next race etc is under fixtures. We'd be delighted to have you.

Sold!! Can't see a membership link on the site. How would I go about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Duanington

No such thing as an elite club really...people of all levels are members and clubs will typically cater for all standards. Nothing to worry about!

Enjoy !

• Advertisement

It's here:

http://rahenyshamrock.ie/?page_id=58

But I'd say just come down to a few runs or sessions or races and see if you like it first. That's what most people do, just to make sure it's the right club for them.

ETA: The Raheny 5, our big race, is in 3 weeks, you could do that, and talk to club members after at the tea and biscuits?

It's here:

http://rahenyshamrock.ie/?page_id=58

But I'd say just come down to a few runs or sessions or races and see if you like it first. That's what most people do, just to make sure it's the right club for them.

ETA: The Raheny 5, our big race, is in 3 weeks, you could do that, and talk to club members after at the tea and biscuits?

I'll be there alright, my better half is taking part! I'm a long way off running 5 miles with the hamstring tear. 10 minutes is all I can manage! ☹

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Hey I'm in Phibsboro...male 51...only took up running 2 years ago...times slightly down on yours...I generally run on my own round glasnevin or phoenix pk...maybe hook up for run some day? I did the raheny 5 mile last week...was really fab...

Advertisement