Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KBS Taught Masters

Options
  • 09-01-2017 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hey guys.

I am considering applying for a Masters Degree In UL this year and would like to hear peoples opinions and experiences of the MSc in Financial Services and MSc Economic analysis.

Just interested to know if you found/find the content enjoyable, tough, useful etc
    and I would also like to hear about how you fared in your dissertations as this is an area that concerns me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 motleypotato

Hey there, I completed the MSc in Economic Analysis, and I would have to say it was one of the best experiences of my college life. The resources available on this course are fantastic with a dedicated lab (although the computers are deadly slow, so make sure to have a laptop).

It is usually quite a small course (there were 12 in my year) so you get to know the people on your course really well, and there is a fantastic environment within the classroom to learn. The first semester is quite tough, especially if you only took minimal economics, but if you're willing to put in the work it is quite possible to do very well.

There is a class trip to Belgium, which is paid for through your fees (so no out of pocket expense for flights and hotels) was a good experience and everyone seems to enjoy it. As for the dissertation, I wouldn't be too worried about that, there is ample experience within the department to help with any questions you might have and you will be appointed an adviser who will guide your research, which is conducted entirely over the summer after the second semester.

I don't know how all of this works for the computational finance class, but I believe the dissertation would be similar and from what I've seen their classes are slightly larger than ours were.

As for employment, I believe everyone from my year is employed or went on to further research, and the course has one of the highest employment rates within the KBS, with graduates of economic analysis working for the likes of the CSO and central bank as well as in the commercial banking and private sector. Hope this is of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭paddypowder

Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it.

Can I just ask about how you were assessed.
    Is it entirely based on the dissertation(and is there more than one) or is there also final exams and CA/Assisgnments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 motleypotato

So the assessment is based on two sets of exams, autumn/winter in December and spring/summer in May, those consist of exams in the 5 modules you do each of the semesters. Then over the summer you have to write your research and submit your dissertation in August/September. The exams are worth 2/3 of the overall grades in the course and the dissertation is worth 1/3.

Advertisement