Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Servicing - main dealer or independent?

Options
  • 09-01-2017 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi.

So one of the cars is due a service. Main dealer is costing more than double the price of an independent garage (as they usually do).

Only thing is the car has over 3 years warranty left with the main dealer. I have always been of the belief that you'd lose the warranty if you don't get it serviced by a main dealer.

Noticed "auto fast" advertise on their website that their servicing won't affect your warranty.

That's all well and good but should the engine die in 2 years and the main dealer says the warranty is void I can't really say "but auto fast told me...."

So what are yer opinions? Get it done in the main dealer or an independent??

http://www.autofast.ie/renault/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Since none of your options were "DIY" I am moving this out of the DIY forum..
    Welcome back when you intend to do it yourself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

You are entitled to service wher ever you chose once they use OEM parts and fluids and you have proof of same.

Usually an independent is cheaper than a main dealer by a reasonable amount but if someone is doing it for over 50% less I'd be questioning are you getting the same service with both.

As in, is the main dealer pricing you for a 3rd service, for example which may require additional filters etc and the independent are quoting you for just an oil change.

Also worth considering that if you do go with a main dealer you will be getting any necessary software updates and they will be able to cop any potential component failures that are covered by your warranty that would be nice to nip in the bud which an independent may not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

Isn't there a problem with independent garages that you have less chance of getting any Goodwill with major issues after warranty expires
    .Not that its a certainty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I am a big fan of a good Indy, yet I would strongly advise keeping the car in the main dealer network, and ideally from the place you bought it, while under warranty. It will ensure you have a much better chance of recourse should you have any trouble with the car while under warranty. It also greatly increases the chance of ant 'goodwill' once you car is out of warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Make sure when going to Autofast or wherever that they use the recommended grade of oil for the service, lots use cheaper wrong spec stuff in the pricing they give for cheapest service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I am a big fan of a good Indy, yet I would strongly advise keeping the car in the main dealer network, and ideally from the place you bought it, while under warranty. It will ensure you have a much better chance of recourse should you have any trouble with the car while under warranty. It also greatly increases the chance of ant 'goodwill' once you car is out of warranty.

I'd advise the above.

Once that warranty expires, independent all the way. Service pricing in main dealers is an absolute joke.

If you've any confidence in your own ability, services can be pretty run of the mill. I do mine every year and costs me about €50-60

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just remember that sometimes goodwill offered by a manufacturer can have a fair portion of that cost clawed back through the price difference between going to an indy v going to a main dealer on a like for like basis. So the difference in price can be an investment in future goodwill from the manufacturer. It's up to you then if you prefer to save money up front by going to an indy or paying up front for potential goodwill beyond the warranty period by staying with the main dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Richard88

Thanks for the opinions. Decided to go with the main dealer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Denny_Crane

The single time I used an Indy was the single time I've had issues. Now that's not to say I was overly impressed with a certain North side main dealer either. I found a main dealer out in Glasthule and regardless of anything else they'll be my go to for everything from now on. The service has been outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

The single time I used an Indy was the single time I've had issues. Now that's not to say I was overly impressed with a certain North side main dealer either. I found a main dealer out in Glasthule and regardless of anything else they'll be my go to for everything from now on. The service has been outstanding.

There is good and bad out there with both. There is good independent garages in this country too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Denny_Crane

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    There is good and bad out there with both. There is good independent garages in this country too.

Absolutely - I'd be going with the place out in Glasthule now even if it was independent (i.e. bought something from them that wasn't one of their makes). I'd never return to the North County main dealer even if it was one of their makes.

However at least with a main dealer you've the fall back of warranty and goodwill (which I had to avail of).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You are entitled to service wher ever you chose once they use OEM parts and fluids and you have proof of same.

In terms of warranty you can get a service wherever you want as long as that place is a registered garage. A formal invoice from an independent garage stating vehicle details, work details and the parts used is perfectly fine with regards to warranty. Any dealer who tells people that the warranty is void unless servicing is carried out by a main dealer is a liar.

Just clarifying that it isn't wherever you want, in that your mate Gaz can fit OEM parts in his back yard and show his over the counter parts invoices if he wants but that won't be worth a damn if warranty want their service history. :)
    Isn't there a problem with independent garages that you have less chance of getting any Goodwill with major issues after warranty expires
    Of course there is and its only natural that this would be the case.

I handle goodwill claims for our brand and its basically a pot of money set aside for the inevitable random occurrences that aren't covered by contractual warranty. Its a finite amount and we have to use it most effectively, and that means paying vehicle hire for a good customer who buys regularly while shrugging our shoulders at the guy who only comes near us when he's stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭aristotle25

As mentioned if you are in warranty stick with dealer for servicing.

After that just way up the price and be sure of your independent if going that way. I've had issues with two well recommended independents but also good experience with others.

With the likes of oil servicing there if sometimes only €20 in the difference of a dealer and an independent. Is stick with dealer in that case.

Advertisement