Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training for a half-marathon

Options
  • 09-01-2017 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,248 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am thinking about training for a half marathon that will take place in the next couple of months. I have an ok-ish base fitness. I ran a 10k in August (albeit I was fitter then and regularly doing High-Intensity Interval Training) is 50min flat, on a tough course. I think I could do a 6k / 8k now fairly handy if I was pushed.

At the moment, I am doing weights training 5 nights a week so my running time is limited to weekends only. I also like a pint, and play 11 a side soccer most Sunday mornings too, so that's a 90 min run out.

Considering all these, is a half-marathon in roughly 10-15 weeks time actually feasible? I would really only be able to do a long distance run once a week but could I build up enough endurance to run the 21k?

All feedback appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Would you be able to drop some of the weights training for the running? Why are you aiming to do a half marathon?

If you want to do it properly then I would suggest following a plan. The jump from 10km to a HM is pretty massive, I found the HM tough. I had ran a 47 min 10Km in October and did the HM at the start of December (with about 160km of training in between, which was probably on the light side). It is possible but you need to give it the time and respect it deserves, otherwise you will be miserable or get hurt or not finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭RuMan

You probably could do it. As to why i'm not sure.

If you're only running once a week it doesn't sound like you are that interested so why bother. Personally i'd target a 5k/10k 1st and see if you can commit to a minimum of 3/4 days a week. If that goes ok and you actually enjoy it have a look at a half.
    If not find something else you enjoy doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

RuMan wrote: »
    You probably could do it. As to why i'm not sure.

If you're only running once a week it doesn't sound like you are that interested so why bother. Personally i'd target a 5k/10k 1st and see if you can commit to a minimum of 3/4 days a week. If that goes ok and you actually enjoy it have a look at a half.
    If not find something else you enjoy doing.

Have to agree with this. You'd probably manage it, but personally I don't see the point in training for something unless you're willing to commit to it fully - running or otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

If training for a half marathon you'd need to be able to run comfortably in training at a distance well over the 13.1 miles.

If your 10k race time is 50 mins (c.8 min mile pace) then your training runs would probably be 9 min mile pace? Bearing that in mind, just to get a few 10 milers done in training would be a 90+ min block of time, i.e. what you'd spend on the football pitch to cover 10k during a match. Can you find time on the weeknights for that sort of time allocation?

I don't subscribe to the idea of athletics/running as 'one true faith' and that you should be excommunicated if playing other sports or engaging in other physical fitness activities. However, some of the other posters here are trying to flag with you that the distance chosen would be a serious commitment in terms of time and effort.

Try to see if you can get in a run three times a week, as that will help you gauge stamina and would give you the opportunity to vary it between speed work and mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,248 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Thanks everyone for the replies, will certainly take the advice on board.

• Advertisement
Advertisement