Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB port not working

Options
  • 09-01-2017 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭

The final USB port on my laptop has stopped working (the other two are physically damaged)

Are there any usb adaptors that allow you to use usb cables with the other ports on your computer? I can't afford to get it repaired atm as I'm short of cash after Christmas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

You will need to spend some money to get USB capability again, but not a huge amount if you have a PCMCIA slot in the laptop ... you could try one of these.

The only other option that springs to mind would be a docking station, but (a) they can be expensive and (b) your laptop may not have the capability to connect to one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I found in Windows sometimes the USB drivers got screwed up and wouldn't recognise devices being plugged in anymore. Have you tried going into your device manager, removing the USB drivers and letting windows add them again? Might work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You might check whether the damaged ones are actually on the main board. Some laptops have some USBs on a separate board connected by a cable inside.
    Check ebay or post the model # here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

Laptop is a Toshiba Satellite 850

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

You will need to spend some money to get USB capability again, but not a huge amount if you have a PCMCIA slot in the laptop ... you could try one of these.

The only other option that springs to mind would be a docking station, but (a) they can be expensive and (b) your laptop may not have the capability to connect to one.
    Demonique wrote: »
    Laptop is a Toshiba Satellite 850

Well my suggestions are no good. No PCMCIA slot and no docking capability.

Try the other suggestions - but I'd expect you will need to pay for repairs. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

it Might be easier just to sell the laptop and buy one on adverts.ie
    you can get a good laptop 15 inch screen widescreen cpu 2.0ghz
    140-170euro with 3 usb ports in perfect condition.
    Get a 64bit cpu laptop if you want to put more than 4gig ram in it.
    A laptop bought on adverts.ie will probably have maybe 30-60 mins battery life .Plug in a usb drive, and a music cd, just to make sure it plays sound and video properly.
    turn on the wifi chip.Does it see various networks .
    I ,m very happy with the laptop i bought on adverts last year.
    or else just wait until you can afford to pay for 1 usb port to be repaired .
    You could put an ad up swap laptop on adverts.ie ,
    swap it for a Basic Older laptop with 4gig ram, dual core cpu 2.oghz .
    Dual core cpu laptops cpu 2.0GHZ are ok for basic web browsing and music playing functions ,video , youtube etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

Duckjob wrote: »
    I found in Windows sometimes the USB drivers got screwed up and wouldn't recognise devices being plugged in anymore. Have you tried going into your device manager, removing the USB drivers and letting windows add them again? Might work

It worked but only for a few hours.

I've just had to do it for the third time.
    riclad wrote: »
    it Might be easier just to sell the laptop and buy one on adverts.ie
    you can get a good laptop 15 inch screen widescreen cpu 2.0ghz
    140-170euro with 3 usb ports in perfect condition.
    Get a 64bit cpu laptop if you want to put more than 4gig ram in it.
    A laptop bought on adverts.ie will probably have maybe 30-60 mins battery life .Plug in a usb drive, and a music cd, just to make sure it plays sound and video properly.
    turn on the wifi chip.Does it see various networks .
    I ,m very happy with the laptop i bought on adverts last year.
    or else just wait until you can afford to pay for 1 usb port to be repaired .
    You could put an ad up swap laptop on adverts.ie ,
    swap it for a Basic Older laptop with 4gig ram, dual core cpu 2.oghz .
    Dual core cpu laptops cpu 2.0GHZ are ok for basic web browsing and music playing functions ,video , youtube etc

It wouldn't work for me, I'm a casual gamer but some of the games I play (Bioware) are triple A titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Demonique wrote:
    It worked but only for a few hours.

I had problems with usb ports on a laptop I had. I plugged in a powered usb hub and that worked

Advertisement