Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on two GTX 1050Ti models...

Options
  • 08-01-2017 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I'm looking to upgrade from my GTX 750Ti and right now, the 1050Ti seems like the perfect choice.

I've done some searching and I'm steering towards MSI's GTX 1050 Ti GAMING X 4G primarily out of brand loyalty. MSI also offer another card with identical specs for almost €20 cheaper.

Would someone please explain the difference between the two cards? From what I gather, the Gaming X variant comes with software that offers some more powerful overclocking settings but that's all I can pick up.

Am I missing something? Is the Gaming X variant worth the extra €20?

Any reply would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭EoinHef

One has a single fan cooler while the other has a dual fan cooler.

The dual fan card should run cooler and quieter which helps with stability,longevity and overclocking. That would be the main reason for the price difference.

The clock speeds on the dual fan card are also higher out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DukeAwesome

EoinHef wrote: »
    One has a single fan cooler while the other has a dual fan cooler.

The dual fan card should run cooler and quieter which helps with stability,longevity and overclocking. That would be the main reason for the price difference.

The clock speeds on the dual fan card are also higher out of the box.

Okay great thanks, I'll will opt for the Gaming X so.

Much appreciated! :D

Hahahahaha yeah I don't think I need to eat for the next life-time anyway, I'll pick that one up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm looking to upgrade from my GTX 750Ti and right now, the 1050Ti seems like the perfect choice.

I've done some searching and I'm steering towards MSI's GTX 1050 Ti GAMING X 4G primarily out of brand loyalty. MSI also offer another card with identical specs for almost €20 cheaper.

Would someone please explain the difference between the two cards? From what I gather, the Gaming X variant comes with software that offers some more powerful overclocking settings but that's all I can pick up.

Am I missing something? Is the Gaming X variant worth the extra €20?

Any reply would be greatly appreciated.
    This AMD RX 470 is the same price as the 1050Ti, but around twice as fast in games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I agree that if you're going to be buying an expensive GTX1050ti, a basic RX470 is a much better buy from a performance point of view. The GTX1050Ti only makes sense if you're buying the cheapest models, unless you're someone who places far more importance on noise levels than performance. The RX470 linked above would totally dominate that GTX1050Ti in games, and it's a pretty solid card with a nice backplate as well.

Oh really? I never even thought of buying AMD, I've been scared away by all of the driver horror stories :P

Tempting, however it says it requires at minimum a 500w power supply.

I have a 430w power supply. Would anyone be able to tell me how serious manufacturers are with their PSU wattage recommendations? Would I run into any serious problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Oh really? I never even thought of buying AMD, I've been scared away by all of the driver horror stories :P

Tempting, however it says it requires at minimum a 500w power supply.

I have a 430w power supply. Would anyone be able to tell me how serious manufacturers are with their PSU wattage recommendations? Would I run into any serious problems?

AMD drivers have been fine for years now...

Anyway, 500W is very conservative.

The GPU itself will draw around 100W, maybe 140W max, and you can undervolt it for lower temp/power draw, e.g. https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5cnv58/i_tested_the_impact_of_undervolting_on_my_rx_470/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

430w is loads if it's a half decent brand. The power requirements are only to cover themselves for those using cheap, crappy power supplies. Some of the low end cards which only use 30-40w of power still have a requirement for 400/500w on the box despite the PC often using less than 150w under full load.

You definitely don't need to worry about the card on a 430w supply, in fact assuming you have a run of the mill i3 or i5 based setup, the entire system won't pull more than about 250w under high load.

I have a PC here with an i5-6500, 16GB, and an RX480 on a 400w power supply and it's still got loads of headroom.

Okay grand, thanks for the confirmation guys!

I've been set on the GTX 1050Ti for months now, yet within a few posts I've been converted to the RX 470 :D Just shows how ignorant I am towards all of this lol

RX 470 it is, thanks for all the info, much appreciated!

• Advertisement
Advertisement