Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog inhaled nugget of dry food

Options
  • 08-01-2017 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

I'm concerned that my dog might have inhaled a small nugget of dry food about an hour ago, while messing about with his ball. He began to hack and cough and seemed distressed, then swallowed hard, so I'm not sure if it was just caught in his throat. He drank some water a bit later but began coughing again.

He's made a few chuffing noises since but is now sleeping peacefully.

How concerned should I be if there is a nugget lodged in his lung? Is it even likely?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Make sure to put him in the recovery position.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Dogs are excellent at not choking op :o They're much better than us at clearing anything that goes the wrong way.
    If he's sleeping peacefully now, he should be okay, but obviously keep a close eye.
    As for the recovery position, as I'm sure the above poster knows, it's not necessary unless you're a human who's unconscious but breathing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Thanks DBB, I was just concerned about infection if it travelled to his lung. I know they're good at clearing, but sometimes he holds the nugget in his mouth and when he jumped for the ball and became immediately distressed, I was sure it had gone down the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My two are always doing this when we do some training. They're so excited to do whatever it is I have them doing again and get their treat that they don't finish chewing the treat that was already in their mouth lol! :p I had Lucy picking up a bowl yesterday and she coughed the treat into the bowl more than once!

Advertisement