Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed re: peppermint oil and cat in house

Options
  • 08-01-2017 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi all,

I am a complete moron in that I hadn't checked if peppermint oil was safe to use with a cat. I assumed it was but I am now reading that the essential oil is dangerous to them.
    In a bit of a panic at the moment as I put pure essential oil in various places in my kitchen as I believe I have rats. Oil placed undiluted on kitchen roll and placed at back of old presses as there are gaps due to pipes etc. oil also put directly behind fridge but now mopped.

I have an indoor cat, she hasn't been into the kitchen and I won't be letting her but there is a very strong smell of the mint. My question is can exposure to the fumes be dangerous? She pretty much lives in the kitchen with her tray and food and her favourite radiator but I have moved everything out for now and will not be allowing her in.
    She has health issues as it is - FIV positive but not symptomatic at the moment. Can anyone offer advice on what I should do and the best way to remove traces of the oil and what to do for the cat?
    I was thinking of bringing her to my local cattery first thing in the morning just to get her away from any risk.
    Sorry for the long muddled post but I was thinking of her by using the oil as I didn't want her getting attacked or infected by anything the rats might deposit, and also wanted to deal with them humanely.
    Thanks

Advertisement