Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grasshopper plate meter

Options
  • 08-01-2017 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi lads. Anyone here using the grasshopper to measure grass. Any good or a waste of money. Tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

kevinm177 wrote: »
    Hi lads. Anyone here using the grasshopper to measure grass. Any good or a waste of money. Tks

What does it cost

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭kevinm177

What does it cost

Don't know. They say you can only buy after an on farm demo

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Hugh 2

kevinm177 wrote: »

Saw it in Moorpark a few years ago and again this year
    I would like to know if anyone knows they are "Any good or a waste of money"
    Apparently price has gone up to over 1000 euro
    No link on their site to simply buy one - still want to do a farm demo before sale

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭larthehar

Hugh 2 wrote: »
    No link on their site to simply buy one - still want to do a farm demo before sale

You can get a lend of one off your teagasc advisor.. try it out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

If the cost is too high, they are now covered under TAMSII so can be added in with something else to get up to the minimum spend.

http://www.independent.ie/business/farming/dairy/farmers-can-now-get-grants-for-grass-measuring-equipment-35899556.html

I was at one last year and it looks a good machine and the group I went in with were getting a group discount for the purchase, if that is of any use to you. 4-5 lads together makes it more attractive to do a deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Hugh 2

Anybody using grasshopper platemeter
    Heard a local Teagasc group were waiting quite a long while for delivery - I don’t know if they got them
    I didn’t see them at ploughing this year - I am sure they were there somewhere
    I saw a photo somewhere and it seems to have been redesigned
    Anyone here have any experience with them
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Anybody using grasshopper platemeter
    Heard a local Teagasc group were waiting quite a long while for delivery - I don’t know if they got them
    I didn’t see them at ploughing this year - I am sure they were there somewhere
    I saw a photo somewhere and it seems to have been redesigned
    Anyone here have any experience with them
    Thanks

Have one here, service with getting back to customers was terrible but they have pulled their socks up, I bought it the day he did demo but I had my mind made up already really

• Registered Users Posts: 11,095 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

simx wrote: »
    Have one here, service with getting back to customers was terrible but they have pulled their socks up, I bought it the day he did demo but I had my mind made up already really

Snap same as here ,can’t dault customer service now ,bought mine 6 months ago and well impresed ,will map fields and paddocks and very easy to use and set up.at end of walk all grass covers and wedge can update to pasture base if using it ,ive stuck with Agri net tho .doscounts available if in Tegasc group ,Macra member or if u can get a few of your group to purchase .thumbs up from me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

We use one here too, it's an accurate way of measuring grass, days ahead etc, ours is very old, doesn't have a digital meter, it has a mechanical meter......in other words it does what it's supposed to'
    Only you can decide if that information is worth having and if you're going to act on it

This is the one we use, but grasstec put 500% markup on everything they sell.
    Wonder can you get them somewhere else, they're effective and can't be that expensive

https://www.grasstecgroup.com/agri-services/product/manual-folding-plate-meter/

Hard to believe that the cheapest is £330

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Conversations 3

Any updates on the use of plate meters?

Anyone using the grasshopper one, Bluetooth farm mapping bells and whistles.

Are they of any use to beef farmers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭emaherx

If you have a large Beef farm are in derogation and need to enter 20+ covers in the year then yes very useful to a Beef farmer, much better than spending all day on hands and knees cutting /weighing grass.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Put your fist on the ground and if the grass comes just above your fist, that's 500kg DM/HA. Put your other fist on top of the first one - grass just above that is 1,000kg DM/HA. Etc.

Do that in 3-4 different spots around the field/paddock. Repeat in the next field. Your eye will tune in after a few goes.

Join PastureBase (free) and record the figures there every week for a month.

Buy a platemeter after that if you think you need one.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

That's pretty good advice especially, when we don't know the size of the farm in question.

Lads who are serious about grass measuring will measure the whole farm(or farm block) on the same day every 2 weeks. If you have a lot of paddocks then a platemeter is well worth it, but a Grasshopper is very expensive, the Jenquip EC20 is a cheaper alternative. Both the Grasshopper and EC20 can upload directly to PastureBase. Jenquip also have even cheaper digital models which don't upload directly, but will record and store the whole farmwalk.

Jenquip models:

• EC20 - Bluetooth uploads directly to PastureBase. (don't think it has the mapping features like the Grasshopper)
    • EC10 - USB upload to PC, CSV file can be imported to PastureBase
    • EC09 - Digital Recording of all paddocks, manual entry to PastureBase or Jenquip Application to generate CSV.
    • Jenquip Manual Platemeter can also be upgraded to the above models so not the worst choice for starting off.

I'm not selling Jenquips 😁, PastureBase currently only supports the two brands and I think there is only one Grasshopper model available and it has the most features / biggest price.

Also for the very large farm/ measuring service there is the C-Dax. https://www.c-dax.com/measure

This one was mentioned to me by someone recently, it's not supported by PastureBase though. But if it can produce a CSV it could be easily manipulated into a Jenquip CSV Upload.

Advertisement