Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Very high mileage but pristine

Options
  • 08-01-2017 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

What would you think of 3 yr BMW 320D UK import with nearly 125k miles on the clock?

It's fully loaded and pristine, inside and out. Not a scratch. Seats etc look new.
    I reckon to do that mileage, someone must have been commuting about 100 miles each way every day, which was probably mostly on the motorway.

It's about €5k below normal price for that age, but would I be buying trouble?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

I do 30k MLS a year so it's a reps mileage anyway...
    Do all your checks, mot website and service records etc

If it had 25k on it I wouldn't go near it as too low for 3 year uk diesel.

Even though miles are high they are ballpark the norm for UK rep car and show its capable of eating miles.Most issues if any will have been fixed under warranty at these miles and serviced on the button by lease company.

If all checks out, enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,140 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Probably a rep's car which that mileage would be normal enough. Study the car's service history and ring the garages that serviced it asking what non service work was done to get an idea of how reliable or troublesome it was in that time.

Things to remember with modern diesel cars with that sort of mileage are that there are consumables that may need replacing sooner rather than later. Things like the DMF/clutch, DPF, potentially the turbo and in BMW's case the ill fated timing chain which are all expensive to replace if you're unfortunate to have to replace all of them in a short period of time. Look for evidence that any of these have been done as it's one less expensive for you. Worst case you could end up spending that 5k saving very quickly, best case some of these parts at that mileage have already been done by the previous owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

rrrrrrrr wrote: »
    What would you think of 3 yr BMW 320D UK import with nearly 125k miles on the clock?

It's fully loaded and pristine, inside and out. Not a scratch. Seats etc look new.
    I reckon to do that mileage, someone must have been commuting about 100 miles each way every day, which was probably mostly on the motorway.

It's about €5k below normal price for that age, but would I be buying trouble?

I won't say you will be buying trouble but I think its too high for a car that new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

It's 66,000 km per year. Back in the 90's I was doing 70-100,000 km per annum based in Germany, most of it from the north of Germany to customers in Munich, Stuttgart, Malaga, Bologna or London. Car was looked after like a baby and never gave any issues (W124 300E Auto).

Personally I'd have no problem with the mileage, but I'd need proof that it's been looked after and I'd want a full inspection of it to see if any wear and tear parts , especailly suspension parts are due to be replaced.

Most people will be frightened off by the big mileage, so its in your favour. Work out what mileage you'll be doing per annum and how difficult it will be to sell it at the end of your ownership as well as you will be selling it lower than others based on the higher mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 rrrrrrrr

Thanks everyone. Maybe I'll have another look.

Right enough, they did say it was a rep's, car on lease and has a Full Service History, though I haven't checked that.

What sort of a discount would you expect over one with more normal mileage, say 30-40k miles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,884 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks everyone. Maybe I'll have another look.

Right enough, they did say it was a rep's, car on lease and has a Full Service History, though I haven't checked that.

What sort of a discount would you expect over one with more normal mileage, say 30-40k miles?

You're already getting a 5k discount, depending on the seller there may be no negotiation on the price or if there is it depends on how good your negotiating skills are.

The only issue that I can think of is that the car will be virtually unsaleable here, it's already nearly at 200k km, so you need to be keeping it long term or doing low mileage.

True. It's a lot of money for something that no one else will want!

Can't help thinking if it really will be virtually unsalable, would I be sucker to buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,884 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

True. It's a lot of money for something that no one else will want!

Can't help thinking if it really will be virtually unsalable, would I be sucker to buy it?

If you plan on keeping it for several years and can confirm that the known fail items have been replaced then it could be perfect. If you plan on changing in 6 months and don't know what work has been done then you could be a sucker.

At the end of day every 2nd hand purchase is a gamble. You could get a low mileage car with FSH and it'll cost you a fortune for repairs or you could get a high mileage no history car that just needs basic servicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Is it 125k miles on it or kms?

We picked up a 3 year old A4 in November. Very similar story. Car is pristine inside and out but the miles were a tad high too - 80k miles / 125k ish kms. I had similar reservations but I did all the checks and everything seemed ok. Loads of service history, it was serviced on the button by Audi and was MOT'd shortly before it landed over here.

It's been great so far, not a moments bother, touch wood.

defo 125k miles, not km

So I should check if any parts have been replaced, or should have been, eg:
    DMF (Dual mass flywheel)
    clutch,
    DPF (diesel particulate filter)
    turbo
    timing chain
    Suspension bushes
    water pump

And ring the garages that serviced it asking what non service work was done
    And get a full inspection done to see if any wear and tear parts , especially suspension parts need to be replaced.

Thanks for the advice

• Advertisement

Just an update...
    I've been investigating the service history and it's been serviced every 20k (6 times) by main BMW dealers in the UK, by the book, with all the various filters etc changed on schedule.

The only other work logged is new wiper blades and tyres, also at a main dealer.
    No mention of clutches, chains, bushes etc.
    Good news?

My only other consideration is that my current car, (17 yr old 3 series with 95k miles) has never let me down and is still running perfectly. It's only worth €1-2k and it seems a pity to let it go and pay about €19k to change it for something with about 30k miles more on the clock, albeit 14 years younger!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Just an update...
    I've been investigating the service history and it's been serviced every 20k (6 times) by main BMW dealers in the UK, by the book, with all the various filters etc changed on schedule.

The only other work logged is new wiper blades and tyres, also at a main dealer.
    No mention of clutches, chains, bushes etc.
    Good news?

My only other consideration is that my current car, (17 yr old 3 series with 95k miles) has never let me down and is still running perfectly. It's only worth €1-2k and it seems a pity to let it go and pay about €19k to change it for something with about 30k miles more on the clock, albeit 14 years younger!

Well you need to decide why you are changing? It may be only worth that amount if you sell it but is worth a lot more to you. in the sense of knowing it's reliability the history of the car etc etc

Your mileage is obviously very low so do you really need a diesel? Other question you need to ask is there stuff on your current car about to go that will need fixing are are you willing to invest in that? That said 19k will go along way towards repairs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

I don't own a bargepole, but if I did.....

There are too many things that can and are likely to go wrong.

I'd be far more inclined to look for an older car with far lower mileage. You'll buy a 2012 320d with less than 30k miles on the clock in the UK for around £11,000.....

Advertisement