Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

13 year old lab / collie cross slowing down

Options
  • 08-01-2017 1:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    Just looking for some advice...going to the vet in the morning...

My 13 year old collie / lab cross "Holly" has started to really slowdown in the last week or so.
    I didn't think much of it as she is 13 and knew it would happen sometime.
    Took her for a walk this evening, and barely made it down the steeet before she started to labour.
    She normally lives out in her kennell with our other Dog..
    We brouht her in by the fire tonight with plenty of water as well.
    Fire is out about an hour now as I thought she was too warm and seemed to be panting a bit.

She definable has laboured breathing as it's a bit faster then normal and seems to be a but short of breath.

She is eating drinking peeing and pooing so no issues there.

Just looking at what people think...I have never personally had an animal from birth to when they get too old and pass...most of the animal deaths we have had have been premature...

Have read about possible heart failure in older dogs and seems to Match up.

Any advice welcome.
    Visit to vet tomorrow .

Brought me to tears seeing her like this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

Sounds like a trip to the vets is your only option here. I hope you got on ok today, please post back and tell us how it went

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Couldn't get our vet today.
    Have her on a rug in front of the stove at the moment.
    She is comfortable and is eating and drinking.

I friend who has gun dogs a advised giving her a bowl of milk with an egg wisked into it and a spoon of sugar to give her a bit of a boost.

Have done that and she is happily laying in front of the stove ..letting the fire die down as donthe want her to get too warm.

Will be going to the vet tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The first stepp here is a trip to the vet. The problem could be caused by any number of things, some more serious than others.Then you will be able to work out what's the best way forward. Don't get too worked up about it until you know what your dealing with. while there is a chance it could be something serious, it may not be and could be something that you manage rather than cure, which I suspect to be more likely.
    For now though keep her comfortable and indoors and get her to a vet as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

and most and for all keep her inside. She's old. possibly arthritic and shouldn't be outside at all.The cold is not going to improve things.

Brought her in today.
    She is anemic.
    Vet keeping her in and on a drip..blood tests as well.
    He wants to figure out what's causing it and go from there....have already looked up the possible causes myself so I'm prepared for all eventuality.

• Advertisement

Not good news.
    She has internal bleeding close to her spleen.
    There is also a growth of tissue on her abdomen.

Vet thinks she may have been bleeding for a while and it accelerated in the last week or so which would explain the sudden slow down.

Can be operated on but will most likely be too weak and surevival rate is low.

Had to make the tough decision and will be putting her to sleep this evening.

I'm in bits...she has been a family member since 2004 and has been a faithful friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Not good news.
    She has internal bleeding close to her spleen.
    There is also a growth of tissue on her abdomen.

Vet thinks she may have been bleeding for a while and it accelerated in the last week or so which would explain the sudden slow down.

Can be operated on but will most likely be too weak and surevival rate is low.

Had to make the tough decision and will be putting her to sleep this evening.

I'm in bits...she has been a family member since 2004 and has been a faithful friend.

Sorry to hear, it's mad how they become part of the family over the years they spend with us! had to put an old dog to sleep years ago and cried for days after it. Hope you guys do okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I'm so sorry, it always seems as though these things happen so fast. :(

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

So so sorry to hear this. It's very hard to say goodbye esp when they've been part of the family for so many years but her suffering ends here and that's the kindest thing you can do for her. Take care of yourself.

On the right.
    Black and white collie lab cross.
    Holly
    FB_IMG_1484070337157.jpg

We still have her sister ruby (on the left)

• Advertisement

What a happy, smiley character-filled face, hope you're ok OP. Lots of good memories...

I know what it feels like to get a diagnosis that offers you absolutely no hope but there is one thing you can do and that is to not let the suffering go any further. No matter how prepared you think you are it still hits you so hard when the vet tells you there's nothing they can do. Two years on I could bring you to where I was standing when I got that call.

Similar to you OP all happened so fast, within 3 days. For us it took another few days for it all to seem real that he wasn't coming home. It does get better with time. I know too well it doesn't seem like that just now but it will. Look after the other dog too, she's going to notice something's wrong eventually.

Thanks all for the comments. One thing about boards is there are some great folks on here always willing to say a kind word where needed

To sat myself and Mrs Demanufactured are gutted is an understatement.
    Holly was our Xmas gift to each other in 2004..it was our first Xmas as a couple.

She went peacefully on the vets table and drew her last breath with us both holding her.
    I'm a man and have no issue saying I bawled when we went in and during it all...I just wanted her to know how much we loved her...it's one of two toughest things I have ever had to do.

I took her and buried her on a friends land...its a bit of a pet graveyard at this point.

We cannot have kids for medical reasons so our pets get the love we have to give.

Ruby will be getting more time in front of the fire now as I know she is going to be lonely.
    We also have a Cairn terrier and 2 cats that will keep her company.

Thanks all again.

Thanks all for the comments. One thing about boards is there are some great folks on here always willing to say a kind word where needed

To sat myself and Mrs Demanufactured are gutted is an understatement.
    Holly was our Xmas gift to each other in 2004..it was our first Xmas as a couple.

She went peacefully on the vets table and drew her last breath with us both holding her.
    I'm a man and have no issue saying I bawled when we went in and during it all...I just wanted her to know how much we loved her...it's one of two toughest things I have ever had to do.

I took her and buried her on a friends land...its a bit of a pet graveyard at this point.

We cannot have kids for medical reasons so our pets get the love we have to give.

Ruby will be getting more time in front of the fire now as I know she is going to be lonely.
    We also have a Cairn terrier and 2 cats that will keep her company.

Thanks all again.
    Sorry I meant to reply earlier. That raw feeling of your heart being ripped out hurts so much at the start, but in time the memories you have will become happy ones rather than sad ones. Dont be ashamed about your emotions, the loss of a pet isn't something that anyone understands until your faced with it. Well at least we didnt. When we got the call my dad came straight home form work because he just couldn't stay there anymore. We went for cremation and I cant describe the comfort that brings. we've got a piece of him forever and if we ever move house or anything the ashes will come too.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭zipee

Just had identical experience with my 19yr old cat. Stayed with her too in vets & I do feel although very hard, that I did her a last service. They are family members. Hugs to you xx

Thanks for the kind comments
    A pic of ruby enjoying the warmth this evening.
    Toto is the cairn terrier on the right.
    20170112_184403.jpg

Advertisement