Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club jerseys enquiry

Options
  • 07-01-2017 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Don't be on here much but just looking to see how other GAA clubs deal with jersey sponsorship. In 2013 a local pub/restaurant gave €815 towards a set of jerseys and the team went to their premises after each game for finger food. At the time they were told that in 2014 the old arrangement of taking turns with other pub in village would be returned to which my local club did. After county final the restaurant in 2014 was supported by the GAA club by buying 55 dinners for team, committee etc. Co. final went to replay so the other pub in village put on dinner for anyone that returned after game which was won and at very little cost to club but the restaurant didn't take kindly to going there and sent in letter that they wanted name taken off jersey. In 2015 local club got €1000 sponsorship from the other pub in village for jerseys and team went there after games. 2016 old arrangement of taking turns was resumed but now pub/restaurant want their jerseys used every second turn and caused a lot of hassle at AGM. Lotto tickets are sold in each pub and they both provide the finger food after games but don't give a fixed financial contribution. Sorry for long post but just looking to see what arrangement other clubs have, Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭statto25

Don't be on here much but just looking to see how other GAA clubs deal with jersey sponsorship. In 2013 a local pub/restaurant gave €815 towards a set of jerseys and the team went to their premises after each game for finger food. At the time they were told that in 2014 the old arrangement of taking turns with other pub in village would be returned to which my local club did. After county final the restaurant in 2014 was supported by the GAA club by buying 55 dinners for team, committee etc. Co. final went to replay so the other pub in village put on dinner for anyone that returned after game which was won and at very little cost to club but the restaurant didn't take kindly to going there and sent in letter that they wanted name taken off jersey. In 2015 local club got €1000 sponsorship from the other pub in village for jerseys and team went there after games. 2016 old arrangement of taking turns was resumed but now pub/restaurant want their jerseys used every second turn and caused a lot of hassle at AGM. Lotto tickets are sold in each pub and they both provide the finger food after games but don't give a fixed financial contribution. Sorry for long post but just looking to see what arrangement other clubs have, Thanks

Jesus my head is spinning after reading that. So let me get this straight..... In 2013 a local pub/restaurant sponsored your team jerseys and in turn you went there after games for food.
    In 2014 it was decided that you would take turns going to the two pubs in the village/town for food after games.
    In 2014 you reached the county final so ye went for food to the pub who sponsored the team in 2013.
    It went to replay and in keeping with the rule, ye went to the other pub in the village/town for food.
    Ye won and probably drank a few pints so your team sponsor got the hump and asked for their names to be removed from the jerseys.
    In 2015 the other pub who didn't create a fuss sponsored the team and ye went there for the entire year.
    Now in 2016 the pub who sponsored ye in 2013 want their jerseys used on a rotation basis with the pub who sponsored ye in 2015.
    If the above is correct them I would be telling g the 2013 pub to take a running jump. That's 4 years ago now and they haven't contributed on a continual basis since. If they want their jerseys used then I would be asking for a financial contribution. I would also ask the 2015 pub for a same/similar contribution.
    Is there any other business that would provide sponsorship?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Pub A and B thing would it an easier read, very difficult to know what's going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Six down...

Sorry for long winded post , A sponsored 2013 and B 2015. A is pub with restaurant on their premises separate owners. The restaurant part wanted their name off but the 2 owners keep on stirring it even though the pub got a few hours of heavy drinking and celebrating on the night after county final. Good idea that both should give contribution. How long does buying set of jerseys entitle them to be worn. Major friction in club.

Sorry for long winded post , A sponsored 2013 and B 2015. A is pub with restaurant on their premises separate owners. The restaurant part wanted their name off but the 2 owners keep on stirring it even though the pub got a few hours of heavy drinking and celebrating on the night after county final. Good idea that both should give contribution. How long does buying set of jerseys entitle them to be worn. Major friction in club.

Jaysus im even more confused now. Pub A is a restaurant/pub with 2 different owners but same building. So Pub B is another pub in the village/town, correct?
    I thought when ye won the county title ye went for dinner in Pub B and celebrated there?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Six down...

Sorry we went to A pub/restaurant first day then to B after replay who got the food brought in from outside caterers. The team were in pub B from around 5pm til 9.30 then moved to A. The main question I have is what is life of sponsorship is it year on year?

• Advertisement

Are Pub A and B the same building? But with 2 businesses operating out of it (one a pub, and the other a restaurant?).

And ye are alternating between using the pub and restaurant for drinks, as the money goes to two different businesses?

I'm a photographer and was asked to sponsor a local football team before. I didn't in the end, but the general idea was the logo would go on the jersey for a 'season' and that'd be all in return for the payment. I'm sure that as a 'thanks' or out of goodwill anyone involved with the team looking for a photographer would have given me a ring, but it wasn't agreed.

Sorry we went to A pub/restaurant first day then to B after replay who got the food brought in from outside caterers. The team were in pub B from around 5pm til 9.30 then moved to A. The main question I have is what is life of sponsorship is it year on year?

It differs from club to club and depends on what the sponsorship covers. Say here in Mayo some clubs have an agreed sponsorship term with a company/sponsor. The agreement means they are the sponsor for all teams from underage to senior and their logo appears on all club gear. Rather than a shirt sponsor they are a title club sponsor. They would provide sponsorship finds to then reflect that large exposure.

Other teams just have a jersey sponsor and they do just that, sponsor a set of jerseys and nothing else.

If there is nothing in writing then I would take it as a year or until a new set is required.

I've only a little experience with sponsors so maybe the others here will shed more light on the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

... and that's the question that should've been asked when negotiating the 2 sponsorship deals. I've seen a lump sum sponsorship of 20K for 5 years and also a 3 year sponsorship of 2K per year .. but they were thrashed out before the deal was signed and money passed hands

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It's the AB Pub Championship were talking about is it? #thetoughest thread to figure out in a while :)

Sounds like an awful mess OP. The club should sort out the term in advance. Drinking obligations shouldn't really come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Sounds like a great village cos ye spend a hell of a lot of time in the pub.
    Besides the County final would not an ould Jaffa cake suffice ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement