Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking 2 bookings deposits

Options
  • 07-01-2017 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi everyone.I paid a booking deposit for an apartment in November in Dublin.Estate agent said that the tenants last day there is 9th December.
    Yesterday i was at the apartment as i was in the area,surprise..tenants still there.
    After i speak with the guy he tells me that he would be leaving by the end of January.
    Also there is another woman who paid the booking deposit,came with the agent at the beginning of December,brought someone in to give her a price to renovate the apartment.
    I took the number from the tenant for the new owner as it was written in his phone and call.
    On the other side of the line answers a woman who tells me that she paid the same booking deposit as me in October.
    She is not in Dublin now but she will be coming next week.
    Is it legal for the estate agent to take 2 booking deposits?
    Also he does operate without the psr licence from march last year.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Paulciob wrote: »
    Hi everyone.I paid a booking deposit for an apartment in November in Dublin.Estate agent said that the tenants last day there is 9th December.
    Yesterday i was at the apartment as i was in the area,surprise..tenants still there.
    After i speak with the guy he tells me that he would be leaving by the end of January.
    Also there is another woman who paid the booking deposit,came with the agent at the beginning of December,brought someone in to give her a price to renovate the apartment.
    I took the number from the tenant for the new owner as it was written in his phone and call.
    On the other side of the line answers a woman who tells me that she paid the same booking deposit as me in October.
    She is not in Dublin now but she will be coming next week.
    Is it legal for the estate agent to take 2 booking deposits?
    Also he does operate without the psr licence from march last year.
    Thanks.
    OPerating without a PSR licence would be a serious breach and afaik taking two deposits for the same property would also be a problem if reported to the authority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

The fact he doesnt have a license, I wonder if your deposit is actually in a separate account to protect the money from bankruptcy etc.

I personally would end all verbal communication. Put everything in writing and email

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Is this to rent or buy

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Paulciob

sorry,it s to buy.I just found out last night,i was today at his office ,but nobody was there.
    He had a psr licence but he expired.We paid the booking deposit trough the bank transfer,so i was thinking to go to the bank on Monday and ask for a chargeback.
    Hopefully i will be getting from the agent ,besides the booking deposit back and the money that we paid for the surveyor.If the whole story checks out,i ll make sure that i ll go for every viewing that he has to inform the other buyers or renters about his practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

OP you need to talk to your solicitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Paulciob wrote: »
    sorry,it s to buy.I just found out last night,i was today at his office ,but nobody was there.
    He had a psr licence but he expired.We paid the booking deposit trough the bank transfer,so i was thinking to go to the bank on Monday and ask for a chargeback.
    Hopefully i will be getting from the agent ,besides the booking deposit back and the money that we paid for the surveyor.If the whole story checks out,i ll make sure that i ll go for every viewing that he has to inform the other buyers or renters about his practice.

Go to your solicitor. If you don't have one. Get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Denny_Crane

Keep looking, don't think the journey is over because you've paid a booking deposit. Booking deposits are fully refundable for almost any reason including thinking the apartment next door has a slightly nice door knob and that you're going to buy that.

Advertisement