Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need to go to the GP for a Physio Referral?

Options
  • 07-01-2017 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm not sure if this is breaching the medical advise rule? If so I'm sorry I am going for proper medical advise I'm just not sure where one starts!

Basically I think I have my first jogging injury in recurring hip pain. I'm just not sure do you go to the GP first with it? Or straight to a physio?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

You can go straight - no need for a referral - best of luck with it.

Presume if you wish to avail of the HSE physio service you need a referral.

But you can walk into any other physio, in fact going to the doc first may just add another unnecessary bill...unless of course it's a condition that ultimately needs medical intervention...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,842 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

foamy foamy rolling! id just find a good private physio. plenty of them around. oh yea, id recommend some foam rolling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Thanks everyone, Physio it is so. I will pick up a foam roller too but this is an old aggravated issue so want to get it dealt with. I've been there before!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

If you want to go public to a HSE Physio then you do but not if you go privately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

About 8 years ago I had a hip problem that I couldn't shake and went to the Doc. Said, "I probably need physio" She gave me a withering look and basically said, how do you know you need physio when you don't know what the problem is?

It does take more time but doctors are doctors for a reason. I was first sent for x-rays and so on and then she referred me to a podologist. He sorted the problem with special insoles.

Just my tuppence worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Itziger wrote: »
    About 8 years ago I had a hip problem that I couldn't shake and went to the Doc. Said, "I probably need physio" She gave me a withering look and basically said, how do you know you need physio when you don't know what the problem is?

It does take more time but doctors are doctors for a reason. I was first sent for x-rays and so on and then she referred me to a podologist. He sorted the problem with special insoles.

Just my tuppence worth.

No problem, I get you. However I've had X-rays, MRI's and have special insoles already as this is a recurring problem. I'm guessing I just need a refresher on the physio exercises. And to lose weight. Which I'm working on

Advertisement