Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living abroad for a year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

aob2017 wrote: »
    Hi guys and gals,

I'm thinking of moving to Australia for a year to work and live there after i finish my university degree. Any advice on what city to go? How to get VISA etc.

Thanks a million.

If you take out the working holiday visa, you are eligible to get it between the ages of 18-30
    You can then travel and work all around Australia for 1 year, you are limited to an employer for max. 6 months so it can be hard to get work in your degree field most places that would hire would be retail, bar work, waitressing, etc.
    However if you do regional work for 3 months (farm hand, fruit picking) you can apply for a 2nd whv and stay for a 2nd year and travel more
    The good thing about the working holiday visa is it gives you a chance to work and explore Australia and see if you like it
    I hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aob2017

@kopite386 Thanks a million for your reply! Is it possible to get a VISA that would allow me to get a job applicable to my degree or is that only if you're resident in Australia for multiple years?

aob2017 wrote: »
    @kopite386 Thanks a million for your reply! Is it possible to get a VISA that would allow me to get a job applicable to my degree or is that only if you're resident in Australia for multiple years?

You could try get sponsorship from a company but that can be hard to get and you have to stay with that company for I think 2 years , you can check out all the visas on the Australian immigration site this allows you to have a look at the visas and what is needed - can be found on https://www.border.gov.au

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

kopite386 wrote: »
    However if you do regional work for 3 months (farm hand, fruit picking) you can apply for a 2nd whv and stay for a 2nd year and travel more

Just on this, it doesnt have to be on a farm or picking fruit. Most types of work are acceptable as long as it is in an area classed as regional, so bar work, construction etc

Timmyr wrote: »
    Just on this, it doesnt have to be on a farm or picking fruit. Most types of work are acceptable as long as it is in an area classed as regional, so bar work, construction etc

Oh yeah sorry I should have added that these are only the most common examples but for regional work you can go onto the Australian immigration site and whv it will tell you about option for 2nd year and the types of work and the areas you have to do to qualify

• Advertisement
Advertisement