Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Bridge Crew

Options
  • 07-01-2017 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭

Surprised not a thread about this

An upcoming VR game for the Kelvin timeline put's you at the various stations and controls of a Federation Starship.

Looks like it could be fun and with modders, you can bet there will be other bridges, ships and environments to play around in.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Surprised not a thread about this

An upcoming VR game for the Kelvin timeline put's you at the various stations and controls of a Federation Starship.

Looks like it could be fun and with modders, you can bet there will be other bridges, ships and environments to play around in.

No such thing as a Kelvin timeline. The TPD prevents such a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

judeboy101 wrote: »
    No such thing as a Kelvin timeline. The TPD prevents such a thing.

TPD?

TPD?

Temporal prime directive. It was written into star trek canon to deal with all the time travel stories in various star trek series. It prevents scenarios like jj Abrams movies from ever happening but he ignored it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Well this has already got too nerdy for me and I was interested in the game.

Well this has already got too nerdy for me and I was interested in the game.

Sorry. Trailer does look pretty good. Given the lore of the star trek universe they never had a proper comp game hit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Damn. New thread, I thought the game might have been released :D

Looks like it's out on March 14th. Really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

Temporal prime directive. It was written into star trek canon to deal with all the time travel stories in various star trek series. It prevents scenarios like jj Abrams movies from ever happening but he ignored it.
    To be fair the last episode of Voyager did that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'm really confused. Wasn't the temporal prime directive necessary for the precise reason that what happened in Abrams Trek was possible and would happen if people weren't off sling-shoting around stars and messing with the timeline?

I'm hoping to pick up PSVR mid-way through the year so I'll be interested in keeping a track on this title.

Evade wrote: »
    To be fair the last episode of Voyager did that too.

Actually, the department of temporal enforcement no doubt had agents present to ensure future janeway didn't alter the prime timeline from their pov She was always destined to go back and alter. Problem with Abrams version is spock/nero altered timeline of characters who would go on to break TPD in prime timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

Actually, the department of temporal enforcement no doubt had agents present to ensure future janeway didn't alter the prime timeline from their pov She was always destined to go back and alter. Problem with Abrams version is spock/nero altered timeline of characters who would go on to break TPD in prime timeline.
    Temporal agents hate people using predestination paradox as an excuse for messing with time. In universe there's no difference between the events.

• Advertisement

Evade wrote: »
    Temporal agents hate people using predestination paradox as an excuse for messing with time. In universe there's no difference between the events.

Hate it, yes, but still allow it to a limited extent. Especially on kirk, which makes the Abrams movie make no sense. Kirk being the nexus for so much that has happened in the trek verse, makes no sense why they would intervene so many times if they knew it was predestined for Nero to travel back.i would rather they had a reimagined kirk Tha try tie it into other movies /tv shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

I don't think aggrieved Romulan miners are bound by the temporal prime directive :)

Inviere wrote: »
    I don't think aggrieved Romulan miners are bound by the temporal prime directive :)

Howthose fools got their hands on a time travel device ill never know.

Since they were Fools, didnt they just accidently fall through the black hole into the past.

Sure, they had to ask the Captain Of The Kelvin what the Stardate was, before they went on the murder spree.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

Did they?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Damn it - time to save up for the Rift again.

adding IBM voice commands. Should make it more fun :)

http://fortune.com/2017/05/12/ibm-watson-star-trek/

May 30th release date

adding IBM voice commands. Should make it more fun :)

http://fortune.com/2017/05/12/ibm-watson-star-trek/
    The in-game "voice experience" will be available this summer.

So... not available when the game launches? Or is May 30th considered 'Summer'? Bit unclear.

I have an Oculus Rift + Touch and while I think it's incredible technology, I am very strongly considering selling it. Just doesn't get enough use to justify keeping it around, and even the best of experiences are difficult to enjoy for any great length of time – it's just too uncomfortable.

But – this game. Obviously I need to play this game. I'll sell the device once I tire of Treking around the place.

And from the looks of the demos and videos, Bridge Crew looks like it'll be similar to every other VR experience in that it'll be the most amazing thing ever – EVER – for a couple of hours. Then it'll just be the same thing again. And again. In an uncomfortable sweaty face-mask.

Can't ****ing wait for those couple of hours though!

Got this yesterday. Lots of fun!

Anyone else playing it? My username is 'goodshape' in there too if you find a way too add 'friends'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I saw it on the oculus store front last night. I have yet to buy the touch controllers so I haven't really tried much VR stuff outside of what I bought the rift for, sim racing.

For sim racing the rift is a fantastic upgrade, I use the rift constantly just sim racing. But I haven't played any other game in VR.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I saw it on the oculus store front last night. I have yet to buy the touch controllers so I haven't really tried much VR stuff outside of what I bought the rift for, sim racing.

For sim racing the rift is a fantastic upgrade, I use the rift constantly just sim racing. But I haven't played any other game in VR.

Actually you can play Bridge Crew with the XBox controller if you don't have touch. I'd imagine it's significantly less immersive though!

This game is awesome.

Although I'm ****e as steering the ship. Kept hitting the starbase.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Goodshape wrote: »
    Actually you can play Bridge Crew with the XBox controller if you don't have touch. I'd imagine it's significantly less immersive though!

Unless you're roleplaying Tom Paris in the delta flyer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lankz92

Enjoying the game, a very well polished vr experience.

Playing on psvr with move controllers and works very well, a few friends have said the ds4 works pretty well too.

Im not a major star trek fan, iv seen the latest films and thats about the extent of my knowledge so i nearly passed this up but im glad i didnt.

Most iv encountered online seem quite helpfull and generally okay with me not having a clue what im doing haha.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

My brother has the Vive with the touch controller. Looking forward to playing it.

Advertisement