Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News for the Deaf - what's the point?!

Options
  • 07-01-2017 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭

Surely, text subtitles can be accessed on every TV that is being used for watching RTÉ One, and other channels, in the Republic.

Therefore, I believe that the News for the Deaf, which is broadcast between after the early evening Nuacht bulletin and before Six-One, is redundant. So why continue producing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Some channels use late night / early morning repeats of various programmes with signing so I would imagine it's a chance for the deaf community to experience sign language in a daytime slot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

I never thought about news for the deaf being obsolete but a couple of things that I have thought about is why is the shipping forecast broadcast on the Ronan Collins show and drivetime on Radio 1 ? Wouldn't all boats be required by law to have proper vhf marine radios these days ? And Video + numbes in tv guides, who is using them these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭political analyst

Some channels use late night / early morning repeats of various programmes with signing so I would imagine it's a chance for the deaf community to experience sign language in a daytime slot.

Presumably, the signed repeats broadcast overnight are meant to be recorded on PVRs to be watched in the daytime. The BBC Sign Zone repeats are also broadcast overnight. I'm also aware that the BBC 1 O'Clock News is simulcast with sign-language on the BBC News Channel (though it is sometimes dropped to make way for a simulcast of the BBC World News Channel in the event of a major international incident, e.g. the shooting-down of Flight MH17.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Is it not true that sign language in Ireland is different from that used in Britain?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭political analyst

Is it not true that sign language in Ireland is different from that used in Britain?

It is.

But I was responding to StreetLight's post about RTÉ broadcasting signed repeats in the small hours. I mentioned the BBC Sign Zone to show that RTÉ is not the only broadcaster to do that.

As for my original point, why is News for the Deaf still running? Surely, deaf viewers would rather watch ordinary news bulletins with text subtitles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I think they should move to signing on RTÉ news now at 7, live with the sound track from Six one playing. Reports signed by another signer. In studio interviews signed by the main signers. Pre-prepared Subtitles not live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

And Video + numbes in tv guides, who is using them these days?

This annoys me, taking up space on a TV Guide, making it a lot more cluttered. Doubt many use them any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

I never thought about news for the deaf being obsolete but a couple of things that I have thought about is why is the shipping forecast broadcast on the Ronan Collins show and drivetime on Radio 1 ? Wouldn't all boats be required by law to have proper vhf marine radios these days ? And Video + numbes in tv guides, who is using them these days?

If one takes the BBC Radio 4 Shipping Forecast, the listeners would be up in arms if that was ever dropped, but I doubt the RTE version has the same cultural status!

Advertisement