Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Disable Brightness Auto-adjustment?

Options
  • 06-01-2017 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Something that's been bugging me about a laptop I bought a few months ago is the above. It's really clear what happens; on bright screens, the brightness shoots up quickly. On darker screens, the brightness dims quickly. If you are switching from browser to desktop to an app in a few clicks, you'd think you and the screen were on LSD.

What does the manufacturer say? I've asked Acer about this a few times and they haven't got a clue what they're talking about. They check my model and tell me there is no light sensor. I've checked the Windows 10 settings and there is no mention of auto-brightness anywhere.

But, in the older control panel, there is something in power settings, at least two settings referred to brightness adjustment - and both were turned off both plugged-in and on battery. Huh?

I've bought Acer laptops before, and noticed that particularly on battery, some Acer settings kick in designed to boost battery life, and they really worked. I wonder if it's in the driver software.

I just uninstalled the graphics driver, rebooted, and the brightness is stable and images are vivid - just how I like them. It was running a Microsoft basic graphics driver. But Windows just updated the driver again without my inviting it to.

What to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Your title is misleading, Auto-Brightness is usually used in relation to ambient light (Go outside, it brightens, go inside it darkens to compensate). What you're talking about is some kind of dynamic gamma/colour temp.

Leave the real driver in but follow these steps:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/acer-brightness-auto-adjustment-disabling.633090/

If needs be manually grab the latest driver from Acer or Intel (Windows update rarely has the latest).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Hmm in the power management settings there is an option called adaptive brightness and it says it "monitors ambient light sensors to detect changes and adjust brightness..." so perhaps it's on the mark?

Thanks for the lead. I've uninstalled the driver, restarted, let Windows install, then updated but I don't have the setting they refer to. But it seems like it's a good lead. I'm going to keep fiddling with it...:)

Update - I have found this setting - it's only available when the battery mode is activated. But reading the info about the setting, it really seems to match the source of the frustration. Perhaps something was triggering that setting while plugged in, though it shouldn't have. Well, the driver inistalled now is official and newer than that before. Here's hoping.

Advertisement