Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running routes in Dun Laoghaire?

Options
  • 06-01-2017 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I am moving from Chapelizod to the Dun Laoghaire locality. Been a bit spoilt in regards to training over the past year with the park beside me.

Trying to figure out routes on google maps at the moment. Weekend long runs will be between 15-33km preferably taking in a scattering of moderate hills. The weekday shorter runs should be fine taking in the coastal paths.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I am moving from Chapelizod to the Dun Laoghaire locality. Been a bit spoilt in regards to training over the past year with the park beside me.

Trying to figure out routes on google maps at the moment. Weekend long runs will be between 15-33km preferably taking in a scattering of moderate hills. The weekday shorter runs should be fine taking in the coastal paths.

Coast road north for long flat LSRs, divert up towards Stillorgan or Belfield to add some moderate hills. Coast South is quite hilly - check out last year's Wings4Life route. Good network of paths from Deansgrange to Loughlinstown via Killbogget gives a mid-week interval option.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

There is a lovely path going from DL to Dalkey, then you can go up Killiney Hill etc for hills. And vistas. Beautiful!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

You could use the the DLR Bay 10 km route A bit shorter than you are looking for but can easily be extend.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/103319898

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Also a run directly up to killiney hill from glasthule/dalkey for hills

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Pick a direction and run. All of them are good! This Strava heatmap will show you the more popular routes, but for hills, as suggested, Killiney is great, Carrigologan is more remote and scenic, you can run as far as Greystones and get a Dart back. Loads of options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

Great running to be had along the coast. Basically a route from killiney dart station following the coast all the way north to sandymount. Bits around killiney Hill have some really steep bits to test the legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My current long run at the weekend (about 19k) is Loughlinstown, Dalkey, Dun Laoghaire, Blackrock, Deansgrange, Kilbogget park (about 4.5 K end to end of lovley parkland with a road crossing in the middle - very nice running!) ,Loughlinstown.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭wookiesleep

Thanks All. Looking forward to investigating. The Strava maps are a good recommendation.

How is traffic on the small roads around Carrigologan \lead mines area. From googlemaps there are plenty of small roads but would hate to meet a fast car with no footpath in sight. Must say there is an abundance of routes the more I look.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

How is traffic on the small roads around Carrigologan \lead mines area. From googlemaps there are plenty of small roads but would hate to meet a fast car with no footpath in sight. Must say there is an abundance of routes the more I look.

very light traffic up that way. Still need to keep your wits about you since the roads are narrow.

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    very light traffic up that way. Still need to keep your wits about you since the roads are narrow.

Thanks. I'll keep the high Vis on in case. Looking forward to exploring the hills a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Thanks. I'll keep the high Vis on in case. Looking forward to exploring the hills a bit.

You can actually run around Carrickgolligan/Lead Mines/Barnaslingan area completely off road except for a 100m stretch of tarmac that joins the two wooded areas. Plenty of trails up there to explore

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Was up there at lunch-time today. Bumped into a car maybe every 20-30 minutes, and typically the drivers are taking it handy. Perfect up there, except for the occasional patch of fly-tipping. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Flatter than you probably want but the two piers are great for running on.
    You might be surprised by some of the hills if you went up through Monkstown, Killiney, Sallynoggin & Glenageary but in the locality Killiney Hill is the steepest.
    Head to the obelisk for sunrise!

Advertisement