Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd Year of IEC Visa not used - can I postpone?

Options
  • 06-01-2017 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi Everyone,

So I spent 1 year in Canada on the 2 year IEC Visa and due to an illness in the family I had to come home early in July 2016.

My visa was activated in July 2015 and expires July 2017. I'm still in Ireland but would love to go back, however, I will not be able to until April 2017.

So to summarise, the second year of my visa is currently going to waste. Is there any way around this? I may be naive in thinking that there is some way to postpone the second year but I'm ever hopeful! I know I could return in April 2017 and secure a permanent skilled job but what happens when July 2017 comes around and my visa runs out?

I don't think I'd qualify for Permanent Residency as I don't have 12 consecutive months of "skilled" work under my belt.

Argh! Many thanks in advance!

C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Once you get the work permit, there's no way to stop the clock ticking on it.

Wasn't any way around it for me. Currently in Ireland, dreaming of the day I get qualified enough to go Express Entry. Things are looking up, Boston scientific acquired a company in Vancouver, which is right in my engineering sector. One day, I'll be back.

Advertisement