Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP and Port Forwarding Problems

Options
  • 06-01-2017 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭

I have recently signed up to a local WISP. I had one problem but now I have two. The internet is really good, and I don't want to bother the WISP as they are obviously very busy connecting people and are really just in it to provide a good service to people in the area.
    The setup is a TP-Link TL-WR841N Router which I connect all of my devices to via either wifi or onto a powerline network that goes upstairs. The WAN port of the TP-Link router is connected to a microtik device on the roof running RouterOS v6.34.2. I have full access to the tp-link router and can use those settings but I have no access to the microtik device on the roof. I can get to the login page but that's it. I don't really want to go any further than that on the microtik device as to not mess with the isp's settings. It looks something like this https://img.routerboard.com/mimg/752_l.jpg

My first problem is that I can not port forward to e.g. access my printer webpage from outside the network, use wake on lan, or use an ftp server from my pc. If I type my public ip into the address bar it comes up the ftp of the microtik device, not my own. I tried putting some of my devices as the DMZ, tried port forwarding via the virtual server section of the tp-link device and nothing is working. To me this is only a minor problem to the second but it is a bit annoying that I do not have control over the ports etc.

The second problem I am having occured in the last few days. There has been some sort of change to my public IP address. It comes up on almost everything as what it has always been for months. Obviously I am not going to put it here. I watch videos on some sites that make a video available to a certain public ip for e.g. 6 hours. My problem is that when I go to watch the video it comes up wrong IP and does not let me watch it. The public IP I see on the websites that show it, and on speedtest.net show up as what it has always been but for some reason google when I search for my ip comes up as something completely different, which upon looking is from a VOIP and Internet services provider. Not my ISP. I only noticed this in the last few days and I have a feeling it is affecting watching videos etc. The IP google shows up is completely different to what it should be. Could the videos and public ip change in google be connected?

Thanks in advance for any help with this. It's really annoying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Apologies if this is in the wrong place. I wasn't sure where to put it.

Advertisement