Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Gaming Monitor Advice

Options
  • 06-01-2017 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I know there are dozens of threads on Gaming Monitors, but I'm making this one to get advice on my specific circumstances and needs.

I recently upgraded my rig with a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 8GB. Current specs are i7 2600k CPU, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD.

My current monitor is a ViewSonic VX2210MH (21.5" edition)

I'm thinking of getting a monitor to match my new GPU. I've been doing a lot of reading, but am still not sure as what to prioritize, given the 50/50 split I've been seeing on reddit and here regarding 1440p vs 144Hz, TN vs IPS etc.

I'm not hugely into competitive shooters (play an odd bit of Overwatch and Titanfall 2), more into single player games (Witcher 3, Division, Hitman, Doom, upcoming Mass Effect etc). I also use my monitor for watching TV shows and movies. I'm not sure if resolution or refresh rate matters here because interpolation is really down to personal taste. I wouldn't use the monitor for work intensive applications or video editing.

My budget is around €300 max. I can be persuaded to go a little higher if that's what's required to match my usage. 

(Alternatively, do I even need a new monitor? For 1080p gaming with preferably higher than 60hz, that would be the sweet spot for a 480 8GB.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as it has been in the past.
    Cheers!

Comments

Advertisement