Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shutters

Options
  • 06-01-2017 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi could anyone recommend a company that supplies & fits good quality shutters? Have had one quote from a Mullingar based company but have rang them several times &they haven't returned my call. I've got online quotes from Shutters.ie and PlantationShutters.ie which are working out a lot cheaper - has anyone any knowledge/experience of these companies? We are in the midlands. TIA for any help!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

We've used Tuisse for roman/roller blinds in the past. They also do plantation shutters.

http://www.blinds-2go.co.uk/shutter-blinds.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

Graham wrote: »
    We've used Tuisse for roman/roller blinds in the past. They also do plantation shutters.

http://www.blinds-2go.co.uk/shutter-blinds.htm
    Thanks, I haven't heard of these...I'll look them up!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just recently got a quote from Tuiss for a plantation shutter for the bathroom, and it was well priced in the sale.

I previously got coloured wooden blinds from them, grey colour. Very pleased with their product and service.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭tinkerbell2310

I was looking for plantation shutters too. The only thing stopping me about ordering blinds online is the measuring yourself. It has to be spot on perfect or they won't fit even a few mm makes a difference. I asked Hilary's who didn't even bother to get back to me. I'm in co clare so I've someone coming Tuesday from a company locally in Ennis to measure and quote.
    Can I ask what prices you were given from the companies online and also did u just give them the measurement of ur windows or was it serval measurements eg the top middle and bottom or was it just 6ft by 5ft etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I tried Hilarys who emailed me to say they'd no agent in my area-their loss as I wanted to order a significant amount.

I went to a local shop- Albany Portlaoise- and they explained how to measure properly.
    I ordered and then fitted the blinds myself.
    Seriously if I can do it, anyone can do it.

• Advertisement

Was it easy to measure? What company did you use and is there any way you could pm me a pic of the blinds you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Anyone try these guys? http://shutterplus.ie/

Got a quote from them during the week and works out at about €500 inc. VAT (hardwood) and fitting for a 1200w x 1700h window. I could save about €100 if I fit them myself and the rep walked me through it. We would be getting 4 windows done so €400 savings - seems like a lot for the rep to make to fit 4 sets of shutters??

A few other considerations are their durability. They come with a 3 year guarantee which isn't long for their price. We have a few very young kids also so not sure what will be left of them in 5 years! If I were to dress the above window with a good set of curtains and curtain pole, fitted, then I suppose I wouldn't be far off the shutter price.

Finally, would anyone be willing to post a pic of their shutters? If I'm waffling then just tell me to shutter up!

Well I bit the bullet and ordered from Tuiss (blinds-2go.co.uk). They had lots of good reviews online (not on their website). Quick delivery - they are sitting here in the boxes, just waiting for a carpenter friend come fit them. I'll post here again once they are fitted....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭bungaro79

how are the blinds looking soooky?? just wondering how much the blackout the room when closed?? thinking of getting some for the bedroom

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Soooky wrote: »
    Well I bit the bullet and ordered from Tuiss (blinds-2go.co.uk). They had lots of good reviews online (not on their website). Quick delivery - they are sitting here in the boxes, just waiting for a carpenter friend come fit them. I'll post here again once they are fitted....

That carpenter must be busy!

• Advertisement

bungaro79 wrote: »
    how are the blinds looking soooky?? just wondering how much the blackout the room when closed?? thinking of getting some for the bedroom
    I'm happy with them Bungaro79! I think they'd be fine in a bedroom but it would depend on what you are used to! Carpenter reckoned they were handy enough to fit too. So yes, I'm pleased with them - especially for the money...

I'm happy with them Bungaro79! I think they'd be fine in a bedroom but it would depend on what you are used to! Carpenter reckoned they were handy enough to fit too. So yes, I'm pleased with them - especially for the money...

Can you post a pic xx

Can you post a pic xx

These are the Tuiss shutters. The job isn't fully finished though as I am adding white architrave around the window opes to hide the gap! My window opes don't all measure the same. Because I was ordering 3 shutters for 3 side by side windows, I needed the centre bar to be the same height for all hence the gap at the top of the middle window! They worked out at a third of the price that other companies quoted

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

They look great Soooky

These are the Tuiss shutters. The job isn't fully finished though as I am adding white architrave around the window opes to hide the gap! My window opes don't all measure the same. Because I was ordering 3 shutters for 3 side by side windows, I needed the centre bar to be the same height for all hence the gap at the top of the middle window! They worked out at a third of the price that other companies quoted

Also I can't post a picture to show how much they would shut out light as I have 2 velux windows with no blinds in the same room! I'd say they'd be fine though - the picture I posted was taken on a very sunny day. Hope that helps!

Wow they are amazing spooky. How much in total did it cost if u don't mind me asking
    Also which one should of the tuiss as they have all different names .

Wow they are amazing spooky. How much in total did it cost if u don't mind me asking
    Also which one should of the tuiss as they have all different names .

They are the Mayfair in pure white - they have the rod to tilt the slats. Both top and bottom parts of shutter slats tilt independently so we usually keep bottom half of shutter closed. They cost approx €500 for all 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LilysDad

Hi could anyone recommend a company that supplies & fits good quality shutters? Have had one quote from a Mullingar based company but have rang them several times &they haven't returned my call. I've got online quotes from Shutters.ie and PlantationShutters.ie which are working out a lot cheaper - has anyone any knowledge/experience of these companies? We are in the midlands. TIA for any help!
    Don't use Shutters of Dublin , did my house but the guy left an open bladed Stanley knife in my 2 and half year olds toy box ,when I texted him about this he did not even have the decency to either apologise about it or even respond . I made a complaint via email a week later when the invoice came in and only then did he pick up the phone to say sorry . Very unprofessional and if you have kids don't use this company as their lack of care is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 7 machinedoctor

Hi Soooky. How would you say these have held up? Looking to order some. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KasjuszMag

Curtains not only add color and texture to a room but also play a crucial role in controlling light and providing privacy. They come in a variety of styles and fabrics, making them a versatile choice for any decor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement