Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing new laptop from 4:

Options
  • 06-01-2017 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting a new laptop and need some help narrowing down my search. I have gotten it down to the top 4 options for me.

Budget: Aiming for ~€500 - €700

Intended use: A backup for my PC when I'm on the move/visiting home. Internet, games (slight WoW etc) and video streaming (HDMI port required).

Mobility: Mobility is not important.

Operating System: Typically Windows 10

Options:
    1. HP Pavilion x360 13-u062sa 13.3" 2 in 1 - Gold
    Price: €680.00
    Personally I love the rotating screen, touch screen and feel of this, but am worried I'm
    biased due to this. I've heard bad things about these types of combos

2. HP Pavillion Blue 15.6" Laptop | 15-AW019NA
    Price: €549.00
    This is one of my main loves in this list! Not sure If its partially due to the
    colour/customization...

3. HP Pavilion 15.6" 6GB/256GB Notebook
    Price: €579.00
    Love a good SSD! Lower RAM than number 2 though. And smaller
    harddrive but I wouldnt be storing too much other than one or two games.
    More of a streamer.

4. HP 250 G5 Core i5-6200U
    Price: €645.00
    Looks decent but reviews say it has a very flimsy/cheap plastic build...

I'm leaning more towards #3 at the moment. SSD is a big plus but the lack of online reviews for this model worries me.

Edit: These are just the top four I have found. Any other suggestions you have are GREATLY appreciated! I just dont trust myself with these types of decisions...

Which laptop would you choose? And why...? 1 vote

HP Pavilion x360 13-u062sa 13.3" 2 in 1 - Gold
    0%
    HP Pavillion Blue 15.6" Laptop | 15-AW019NA
    100%
    Matthewjohn 1 vote
    HP Pavilion 15.6" 6GB/256GB Notebook
    0%
    HP 250 G5 Core i5-6200U
    0%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

They're all pretty bad for gaming of any kind though some WOW should be passable, the only one I would outright avoid is the 2nd one, it's way slower than the rest with a pretty low-end spec.

The 3rd one is probably the best rounded if you plan playing a few games as the dedicated graphics are weak but a slight improvement on Intel integrated graphics with the i5-6200 featured in the other laptops, so WoW should run best in this configuration.

The X360 though is probably the nicest option in terms of portability and quality. It also pays to look up proper reviews of all because battery life and screen quality will also be important factors.

Just to give you something to think about, for example, this is a way faster laptop from a gaming perspective with an i5-6200, 8GB, full HD screen and Nvidia 940M. Not the most exciting laptop but it would be significantly faster than all of those laptops in games.

Nicer, slimmer laptop here with the same graphics card but with a 128GB SSD and an i3-6100 instead of i5-6200 (not much difference to be honest, still a very good processor)

Advertisement