Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price for a kitchen !!!!!

Options
  • 06-01-2017 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Went viewing kitchens today, for a new build house. Even though its for a medium-large kitchen, only units going into half of kitchen other half will be dining area......so moral of the storey yes large floor space, not a large kitchen required. Went viewing kitchens today and was told the average price is 20, 000.......... REALLY !!!? What are people paying for kitchens new builds at the moment !
    This price was for units, counter tops, island.......... thats it

Still in shock

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭duffman13

Nickypicky wrote: »
    Went viewing kitchens today, for a new build house. Even though its for a medium-large kitchen, only units going into half of kitchen other half will be dining area......so moral of the storey yes large floor space, not a large kitchen required. Went viewing kitchens today and was told the average price is 20, 000.......... REALLY !!!? What are people paying for kitchens new builds at the moment !

Still in shock

Haha shop around, I paid 3k for a cracking kitchen but no appliances or island. My OHs parents paid 8k and that was the biggest quote they got. Mine was 5k, who was the quote with? Any unusual requests?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It just depends on what quality and finish you are talking about. If you look at the one-up-from-basic ranges in Ikea you can get a decent kitchen for two thousand or three thousand. Add some shiny doors, you can get to 5k pretty quickly. Fancy countertop, some sort of stone (Ikea don't do this though)? Add another five or ten grand quick enough. Get higher-quality units and doors to go with your prestigious countertops, and you are up to twenty grand.

It is all about what you want.

It depends on the house too. I know one particular house, it is actually a famous enough house architecturally, and has been featured on Dermot Bannon's program and you see it in books of Irish architecture. I happen to know the architect, though I have not discussed it with him.

Anyway, when I visited the house (which is a rental, not somewhere anybody lives permanently) my fellow guests and I could see something was wrong. It was the kitchen which was smack in the centre of the house.. The house had all sorts of fancy finishes and polished floors but the kitchen didn't live up to it. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice kitchen, well finished. But it was bought somewhere like in-house, and just wasn't up to the standard of finish of the rest of the place. What had apparently happened was that they ran out of budget towards the end of the build and had to pull back on the kitchen. It really needed a fancy Baumatic kitchen or something to fill the space, not a five grand kitchen from the Panelling Centre.

By the same token, there's not much point putting a forty-grand kitchen into a compact semi-d in Dardistown or wherever, even if you can afford it. At least not from an investment point of view, you'll never recoup it on a sale. But if it's what someone really wants to spend money on ...

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Nickypicky

Ya I am going to shop around like a mad person ! kind of going for the "painted wooden country" style kitchen . So I wonder is that where the cost is? Also would have hoped to go granite/quatrz rather than laminate but I think I have a lot of downgrading to do myself ::pac::pac::pac:

It just depends on what quality and finish you are talking about. If you look at the one-up-from-basic ranges in Ikea you can get a decent kitchen for two thousand or three thousand. Add some shiny doors, you can get to 5k pretty quickly. Fancy countertop, some sort of stone (Ikea don't do this though)? Add another five or ten grand quick enough. Get higher-quality units and doors to go with your prestigious countertops, and you are up to twenty grand.

It is all about what you want.

It depends on the house too. I know one particular house, it is actually a famous enough house architecturally, and has been featured on Dermot Bannon's program and you see it in books of Irish architecture. I happen to know the architect, though I have not discussed it with him.

Anyway, when I visited the house (which is a rental, not somewhere anybody lives permanently) my fellow guests and I could see something was wrong. It was the kitchen which was smack in the centre of the house.. The house had all sorts of fancy finishes and polished floors but the kitchen didn't live up to it. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice kitchen, well finished. But it was bought somewhere like in-house, and just wasn't up to the standard of finish of the rest of the place. What had apparently happened was that they ran out of budget towards the end of the build and had to pull back on the kitchen. It really needed a fancy Baumatic kitchen or something to fill the space, not a five grand kitchen from the Panelling Centre.

By the same token, there's not much point putting a forty-grand kitchen into a compact semi-d in Dardistown or wherever, even if you can afford it. At least not from an investment point of view, you'll never recoup it on a sale. But if it's what someone really wants to spend money on ...

Thanks for the reply, that is insane ! I don't understand why Dermot Bannon thinks it is okay to go WAAAYYY over budget all the time. We will not be in that position hence why we are shopping around now and self build hasn't started , trying to budget each area as properly as we can and allocate more money sensibly e.g. windows. I was thinking I would get my dream kitchen for 8-10, 000 MAX MAX MAX ! But I can keep dreaming

For clarity, this was not a home or kitchen that Dermot Bannon had designed or built. It was an example he showed in the program. It was another architect.

You are certainly better to invest the money into the fabric of the building. You can change the kitchen in ten years time (when you are fabulously wealthy). If you don't have the right building insulation and other stuff it is very hard to change.

Painted wooden country, Swedish-style.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/ideas/room-by-room-get-the-traditional-country-style-1364320372248/?N=0+4294966677&Nr=content.type%3Ai%3Aideas&Ns=rank%7C0&t=ideas&filter=Kitchen

(The white painted units are sort of a traditional Swedish look.)

An Ikea kitchen, if it is well designed, is fine. Design is really important. Stuff like islands are not necessarily a good idea. They might look nice on the drawings, but will they just be in the way when you have to run from the hob to the fridge to grab a bottle of milk?

I was really impressed when I talked to the people in Ikea where they design the kitchens. I have to warn you, they are a bit rough-and-ready dealing with customers, you won't be glad-handled and they won't waste time walking around showing you the various options for doors and that sort of thing. But some of the people really know their stuff about layout and will tell you to your face if they think you are wasting your money on stuff you don't really need. And you meet all sorts out there. A famous radio presenter was in the queue behind me to get a kitchen designed one day I was out ...

• Advertisement

Had thought about doing utility room in ikea, just presumed they weren't the best quality ! Great to hear though !!! Will look into it.

As such is it possible to get ikea cupboards etc, and your own worktop if I waste on quartz etc ??

In principle yes, but in practice no. If you are spending four grand on a counter, you need to put it with a really good quality kitchen. A quartz counter is going to last 50 years, but it's a bit unrealistic to expect your ikea kitchen to last that long. Changing the kitchen in 15 years time without breaking the counters will be tricky. There are also practical problems of supporting the weight of the counter though I am no expert at putting together fancy kitchens.

Ikea do a good kitchen, but it is what it is.

The thing is you have to balance everything up. In the example I gave above, the house was a full-on architectural showpiece but it was being let down by a 'meh' kitchen. It would have been a fine kitchen in another context.

Similarly, you can't match up inexpensive (but perfectly good) kitchen units and doors with a very fancy countertop. Well, you can, but it might not look right, and more importantly, it might not make economic sense for the long term.

If you want a shiny centrepiece kitchen, you can expect to pay for that, and the sort of money you are being quoted is not unrealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Several years since we did ours but had prices ranging from around 11k mark to 33k
    Point is SHOP AROUND !! Have a good idea of what you need/want. Talk to everyone and I mean everyone! about what works / doesn't work in their kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Had thought about doing utility room in ikea, just presumed they weren't the best quality ! Great to hear though !!! Will look into it.

As such is it possible to get ikea cupboards etc, and your own worktop if I waste on quartz etc ??

Standard worktop is 600mm deep, Ikea units need 635mm to cover them, so quartz would have to be a special order, they would carry the extra weight no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

I just had a new kitchen installed. 11k all in inlcuding 3k for a quartz worktop.
    We had an island also and a stand alone larder.

Good value I reckon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The kitchen you are looking at (painted timber) are the more expensive end of the kitchen area.

I'm doing a typical bed semi at the moment and my kitchen will be 10-11k including appliances.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭juno10353

Ikea will come to your house, measure for kitchen, help you design same and install with worktops for % of cost. 10 year guarantee. There is an Ikea app online where you can design your own kitchen, this is hand to get ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

The big secret with kitchens I think is that anyone with moderate diy skills can fit a kitchen themselves and save a packet. It's a straightforward process. Especially these days the cabinets come pre-assembled so it's only a case of lining them up level against the wall and securing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

We got a painted solid door shaker kitchen with solid oak counter-tops -snip- for a little over 6k.

Ikea's stuff is great if something in their range suits your taste but you will be limited to laminate or solid wood counter-tops. Their on-line kitchen designer is clunky but well worth getting to grips with as it lets you design the entire thing and then click a button to see the shopping list (and price) of everything you'd need from their store to achieve that kitchen. Also, if you've done a design on it, the staff can call it up in store and go over the layout etc. with you to point out any mistakes you've made / alternatives you might want to consider.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

20k does seem to be at the high end and I definitely wouldn't call it average. However, my advice to anyone when doing a house is if you're going to spend money anywhere spend it on the kitchen. It's the room where you spend the majority of time in the house, where most of your guests go as well. If you're not happy with it it will annoy the hell out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 FLC

juno10353 wrote: »
    Ikea will come to your house, measure for kitchen, help you design same and install with worktops for % of cost. 10 year guarantee. There is an Ikea app online where you can design your own kitchen, this is hand to get ideas.

There are a few online from what I can see, so you have the name of the one you used by any chance?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

FLC wrote: »
    There are a few online from what I can see, so you have the name of the one you used by any chance?

You access the Ikea kitchen planner using their online web app using a browser.

We also used the Magnet (UK) online kitchen planner as it uses the standard kitchen cabinet sizes rather than the Ikea specific ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

The best way to look at this is how much is a CAR now you can spend any amount you want but you have to work with your pocket try -snip- and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ewood1981

we paid 4600 for our kitchen in new build 6mths ago including fitting by a local company in tyrone. white high gloss 2 runs of units and a large island in red gloss. they even fitted our electrics that we bought ourselves. so pleased with it! 2 previous quotes were 11000 and 8500k!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭tippgirl123

Got a pretty large kitchen. In ivory shaker with wood effect and a black laminate counter top. Utility large wardrobe and 4 base units. All for 4k. Rite price kitchens in kilkenny. Was worried going for the cheap option but it worked out great and was perfectly fitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

OP would you not get a price off a local cabinet maker? They can make it to whatever spec you like..so if it's the painted country look you want to go for you don't have to get a solid wood kitchen. You could use high spec MDF and get it spray painted in whatever colour you want. That's what we did anyways. Custom made large kitchen cost 7.1k including an island with a solid oak counter top, custom made hood over the cooker, pantry and includes granite worktop throughout the rest of kitchen. Appliances cost 2.8k. Only draw back is it takes more time obviously than just buying from a supplier..especially if the tradesman is working by himself or with a small crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

I'm in the kitchen planning stages myself. Ikea do quartz and acrylic custom made worktops in addition to the laminate and solid wood. You can download a brochure on their website. Guarantee is 25 years for Kitchen cabinets and worktops, 10 for taps and 5 for appliances.

You can use their planner and do some printouts to bring around other suppliers to compare prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 fback09

Still in shock
    Hi Nicky, just wondering where did you end up picking for a kitchen? We are at the same stage are you now and trying to find a reasonable price kitchen! Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 joanymcd

jay0109 wrote: »
    I just had a new kitchen installed. 11k all in inlcuding 3k for a quartz worktop.
    We had an island also and a stand alone larder.

Good value I reckon

Where did you buy your kitchen and what kimd on measurements is your kitchen? Sounds like a good price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

joanymcd wrote: »
    Where did you buy your kitchen and what kimd on measurements is your kitchen? Sounds like a good price

Kitchen pics can be found on this thread I started
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057679411
    I got it from Wholesale Kitchens Direct in Edenderry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

jay0109 wrote: »
    Kitchen pics can be found on this thread I started
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057679411
    I got it from Wholesale Kitchens Direct in Edenderry.

Great thread. Thanks.

Advertisement