Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog is licking fresh air

Options
  • 05-01-2017 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

My dog keeps licking fresh air and kind of like biting fresh air. In fact he keeps licking everything , like his paws , blankets etc and he's licking his lips a bit.

It was away worse a few days ago but he's still doing it a bit still. I checked out his mouth and teeth but can't see anything wrong. Could it be so.ething wrong with his ears ?

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Thirsty?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

vicwatson wrote: »
    Thirsty?

Plenty water around for him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

How old is he

Have a quick Google of fly snapping syndrome and see if it adds up, may be best, if you can to drop down to the vet to see if they can offer any advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

allergies ?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Licking lips and air can often be signs of stress/nervousness in a dog.

• Advertisement

hairyslug wrote: »
    How old is he

Have a quick Google of fly snapping syndrome and see if it adds up, may be best, if you can to drop down to the vet to see if they can offer any advice.

He's going on 3. After a quick read about that fly snapping I think there's a good chance that it may be it

Actually thinking back now he has an obsession with flies , he'd spend hours chasing them around the house whenever they are there.

Other times he does be looking up at the ceiling as if there is a fly flying around even tho there's not

Is that fly snapping thing bad ?

Licking lips and air can often be signs of stress/nervousness in a dog.

Maybe your right. He doesn't seem happy lately tbh and when he's licking he has a pure guilty look on his face :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Is it a new thing or has he been doing it since a pup? Dogs sometimes go through phases and then it passes.
    Could be "air today, gone tomorrow".

It could be "floaters" in his eyes. Humans get them, I have them myself. Little grey dots that move around when you move your eyes, and perhaps he thinks they're flies and he's trying to lick/bite them.

Worth a trip to the vets imo. Just to ask a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

rottie 11 wrote: »
    He's going on 3. After a quick read about that fly snapping I think there's a good chance that it may be it

Actually thinking back now he has an obsession with flies , he'd spend hours chasing them around the house whenever they are there.

Other times he does be looking up at the ceiling as if there is a fly flying around even tho there's not

Is that fly snapping thing bad ?

Would it happen more often around meal times.
    From very limited reading on it, it can be a gastro infection or nuero

Is it a new thing or has he been doing it since a pup? Dogs sometimes go through phases and then it passes.
    Could be "air today, gone tomorrow".

It could be "floaters" in his eyes. Humans get them, I have them myself. Little grey dots that move around when you move your eyes, and perhaps he thinks they're flies and he's trying to lick/bite them.

Worth a trip to the vets imo. Just to ask a professional.

He has done it before and I brought him to the vet and the vet gave ear drops and it passed after a while. He was scratch g his ears aswel this time , I had those drops left over so gave him some .

Ya Il take him to the vets tomorro evening because he's not himself lately either , he's gone pure lazy and won't come to me when I call him and stuff. It's not like him but it's happening with a while now

He's the type of dog that loves being around people do I reckon hes lonely seeing as it's just me and him

• Advertisement

hairyslug wrote: »
    Would it happen more often around meal times.
    From very limited reading on it, it can be a gastro infection or nuero

Tbh there's no feeding time for him, I go to work in the morning and I leg his food there with him. It might happen more at night but I might only notice it more then I'm not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Honestly, it could be so many things, or it could be nothing. It's hard to say because A: we can't see what your dog is doing. And B: we don't know your dog's normal habits. I feel it wouldn't be right for me to guess the reasons for it. Your best bet is to go to a vet to investigate if you feel it may be an issue that could be a symptom of a bigger problem.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

If it's any reassurance my Cave has spent the last 7 years licking the air. Haven't a clue why.

VonVix wrote: »
    Honestly, it could be so many things, or it could be nothing. It's hard to say because A: we can't see what your dog is doing. And B: we don't know your dog's normal habits. I feel it wouldn't be right for me to guess the reasons for it. Your best bet is to go to a vet to investigate if you feel it may be an issue that could be a symptom of a bigger problem.

I know what you mean , il bring him to see the vet tomorro anyway for sure and il let ye know what he says. Cheers for all the replys

TheChizler wrote: »
    If it's any reassurance my Cave has spent the last 7 years licking the air. Haven't a clue why.

I wouldn't mind him doing it as long as I knew everything was OK with him but I'm not so sure it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

It's unlikely to be anything major. You're doing the right thing by going to the vet tomorrow.

Meanwhile try to get some sleep and it will be fine. Let us know what the vet says tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

My huskie is at it 3 years ish now. Shes 7. Came on all of a sudden. She acted odd for a week. Stayed in her house etc. That phased but the licking stayed. Vet went through everything and all was good. Put down to nervousness/anxiety.

Shes at it here on the mat in front of me now.

Shes as happy as could be and as fit as a fiddle. Never seems to bother her.

Take the doggie to the vet for peace of mind.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

When expressed as you describe op, it is often a sign of discomfort.
    It may also indicate a neurological problem, particularly in conjunction with the fly-snapping in the absence of flies (his chasing of real flies is an unrelated coincidence).
    You need a full and frank discussion with your vet. I hope he/she is sharp on health/behavioural interactions, because it's one that can often be shrugged off as nothing significant.

DBB wrote: »
    It may also indicate a neurological problem, particularly in conjunction with the fly-snapping in the absence of flies (his chasing of real flies is an unrelated coincidence).
    You need a full and frank discussion with your vet. I hope he/she is sharp on health/behavioural interactions, because it's one that can often be shrugged off as nothing significant.

Hey....you seem to know more about this stuff than me...is there something that can be done about it if its behavioral ?

dashoonage wrote: »
    Hey....you seem to know more about this stuff than me...is there something that can be done about it if its behavioral ?

Often the behaviour (air licking and fly snapping) is a symptom of an underlying medical condition, and it's that which must be addressed, rather than the behavioural symptom.
    That's why it's vital that your vet absolutely definitively rules in or rules out that possibility of an underlying medical issue. It'd be unwise to say it's behavioural until the vet is sure of it.

Edited to add... Sorry, I thought I was answering the op there!
    To be honest, I'd like to see what else your husky is doing when she air licks :)

• Advertisement

Often the behaviour (air licking and fly snapping) is a symptom of an underlying medical condition, and it's that which must be addressed, rather than the behavioural symptom.
    That's why it's vital that your vet absolutely definitively rules in or rules out that possibility of an underlying medical issue. It'd be unwise to say it's behavioural until the vet is sure of it.

Ah ok sorry i took that up wrong. My apologizes

My vet spent about 3 months trying to get to the bottom of it so from ear infections to upset tummies...he tried them all.

dashoonage wrote: »
    Ah ok sorry i took that up wrong. My apologizes

My vet spent about 3 months trying to get to the bottom of it so from ear infections to upset tummies...he tried them all.

Did she get a spinal x-ray?
    When she air licks, is her nose pointing upwards? Does she squint her eyes? This combo is usually seen when there's pain or discomfort.
    If she's air licking with an open, relaxed, happy expression, it's *possible* that she learned to do it as an attention-soliciting behaviour when it first appeared :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

He's going on 3.

I can't believe he's that old already, don't know where the years are going to

muddypaws wrote: »
    I can't believe he's that old already, don't know where the years are going to

I know yea it's madness. Time is flying by

What you mean by discomfort tho ? Discomfort with what do you reckon ? I'm going to the vet this evening if I'm home on time anyway , and it's a different vet from before so hopefully he'll know the problem

He was at it again this morning , licking stuff and biting but when he's biting it's not like he's trying to catch anything. Its more like there hair stuck in his mouth and he's trying to spit it out , it's hard to explain

He was shaking his head and scratching his ear aswel this morning so I've a feeling that's the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

When Bailey was doing this he had an infection that they traced back to a duct.. It swelled the first time and the second 2 times it erupted with puss etc.. My mum called me in work saying she was very worried about him because he was licking non stop - he'd stopped by the time I got home and marched him over to the vets so I kind of dismissed what she said about the licking.. But then a few months later - exactly as you and she describe it one evening he was licking air and when we checked him his chest was soaking wet with drool (he gets wet anyways with his jaw but this was excessive).. the infection was back and his chin swelling up... That time the thing exploded by itself(!) :eek: ...luckily i'd taken the precaution of putting a bib on him lol :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sounds like there is def something medically wrong with him as he seems a little distressed or in discomfort. Hopefully the vet can suss out what's up with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

He was at it again this morning , licking stuff and biting but when he's biting it's not like he's trying to catch anything. Its more like there hair stuck in his mouth and he's trying to spit it out , it's hard to explain

He was shaking his head and scratching his ear aswel this morning so I've a feeling that's the issue

My dog had episodes of this, the licking as if hair or something was stuck in her mouth, and episodes of licking that was more obviously nausea. Turns out she has pancreatitis. So had abdominal pain and nausea.
    She was also down in the dumps which was due to the abdominal pain. The interesting thing is she didnt have diarrhea, was actually more constipated, if anything and a bit bloated.
    Shes doing very well now on a low fat diet.

• Advertisement

What you mean by discomfort tho ? Discomfort with what do you reckon ? I'm going to the vet this evening if I'm home on time anyway , and it's a different vet from before so hopefully he'll know the problem

As you can see, there are several accounts here of dogs doing it for all sorts of different medical reasons. It is absolutely down to your vet to determine what this could be, if anything.

Advertisement