Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity wear?!

Options
  • 05-01-2017 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

I'm looking for nice affordable maternity wear and can't find anything! I went to Liffey Valley today and they obviously believe pregnant women don't need clothes! I was fuming, trying to find something nice and dressy for a party Saturday night and there wasn't a single dress. I went to New Look, H&M, M&S, Next ect. A single rail is all they had which consisted of mostly work tops and trousers. Where do you shop for maternity clothes? Have they a better selection in town? What shops should I be looking in?! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭supersheeps

There really isn't any sort of choice of nice, dressy maternity wear in the high street stores, and believe me, I spent two pregnancies trying to find some!! I ended up wearing "normal" clothing most of the time; empire line, a-line and wrap dresses worked out well. Depending on what stage you're at and how big you get, that's probably your best option. Mamalicious is a good brand to have a look at, available in some boutiques and on asos, it's from the same company as Vero moda & Only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Have you tried next? You can order online for delivery to your local store the following day? I found this very handy when I was looking for jeans.

For longer term I always got lovely dressy stuff on asos, but that won't work for you at this late stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭RCK1406

Top shop and New Look have a good maternity range too, however more so online than in the shops themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Cherish me is a lovely store in ballinteer. They have a sale at the moment so you might get something that suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I got a few bits in H&M and new look in Liffey valley a few months ago. Their maternity ranges were on the top floor in each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Between this pregnancy and the last (4 years ago), a lot of shops seem to have stopped stocking maternity wear in-store, it's all online. I find H&M the best for fairly normal stuff, especially tops and jeans. Asos.com have a great selection too, good bet for something dressy.

I ordered loads from H&M and New Look to the house, tried it all on and returned half of it to the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

A lovely maternity store shut down in Galway last year. It was a shame. Found that only Mothercare, Next and Debenham's stocked a small range of maternity wear. Had to improvise normal clothing and but mostly online.
    Unfortunately, it's hard to get sizing right without trying on. Recommend buying with stores that do free An Post returns, like Asos and H&M. Got some stuff on Amazon as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭chooey

I got a lovely dress in jojo maman Bebe. Their clothes are lovely and a good price in the sales

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

chooey wrote: »
    I got a lovely dress in jojo maman Bebe. Their clothes are lovely and a good price in the sales

Was just about to suggest the same. I lived in their dresses when I was pregnant. Comfy, not too expensive and their stuff washes really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Blingy wrote: »
    Cherish me is a lovely store in ballinteer. They have a sale at the moment so you might get something that suits.

Agree with this, was raging i didn't go there earlier in my pregnancy. Much higher quality than say H&M. I got a plain black dress there and it did me a wedding, a hen, and nights out dressed up with different accessories.
    Going to go back and hopefully get some nursing tops in the sale

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I found that the stores never carried as much as their online stores. New look was probably the most affordable and had nice stuff. Their jeans are good. I didn't find H&M great. Topshop is nice but too expensive for me. I ended up getting about 3 different colour maternity jeans and bought the rest In Penny's. I just bought wide, long tops & jumpers. I also got a few elasticated waist trousers which sat under my bump. At least this way you can wear all these after pregnancy too! I gave up on maternity wear as I managed to work with a lot of what I already had.

Also get some longer vests or long sleeve tops to wear under things & layer. Very moda do great ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Lidl are doing a few cheap basic maternity bits next week

Advertisement